Incubation screw ups and miracles

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:25 pm

I thought we could start a collective post of incubation screw ups and miracles- it might help those of us new to hatching out our own chickens, not to stress too much when things go wrong.
I'll go first: When I was just starting out with chickens, I got some production dual purpose layers from Frey's. They were fine the first year, laid tons of eggs, but after their moult the second year some of them went broody. I didn't know what to expect, how long this would all take- so when I thought something should be happening under the broody hens, I went down to the coop and shook the eggs hard by my ear to see if I could tell if there was a chick in there. Those eggs didn't make it, I'd murdered the baby chicks just before they were going to hatch. :doh: Needless to say I didn't do that again.
I've had three or four tries using an incubator, the first time I candled I confused the yolk with the air sac. I couldn't see anything at 3 days, I thought the egg was a dud so I broke it into the sink - and there was the little beating heart of the embryo going............ gah! The second time the average temperature was too low at the bottom of the incubator (I thought I'd be clever and use big bags of water as a heat reservoir to moderate temperature swings, but what was happening was the water was conducting the heat out through the bottom of the incubator- the temperature down there was only 96 degrees-so I tossed the eggs at around day 10 but I didn't crack them open.
I had an incukit fail each of the other times, always around day 13, where it would just shut itself off. I had the temperature plummet for I don't know how long, but I was able to successfully hatch about half of the eggs despite thinking all was lost.
I have a new-to- me incubator now, it's humming along perfectly, I'm glad it seems to be idiot proof so this time I'm hooping for success. The eggs are due in early May. :storkbaby:

So what's the worst that's happened during incubation, but you've had successful hatches?
:sFun_mornincoffee:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:28 pm

my first attempt at hatching any poultry eggs were coturnix quail. i was doing everything exactly by the book. humidity throughout incubation was 55-65, lockdown was 80. I had 3 or 4 chicks hatch and every other eggs had a fully formed dead chick in it, i had about 60 eggs all together. I was heart broken and almost gave up on poultry all together. but those 3 or 4 quail keep me going, kept me researching and it wasnt until I read OC's post on PSO about the dry method that I had figured out where I massively went wrong. why the heck do almost all incubation instructions and tables have such a high humidity level? are they purposely trying to keep the dry more successful method a secret? I dont know.

another time, we finally moved out of the city and onto a farm. i was hatching one of my first batches of my own eggs that wernt shipped. I messed up the start date really bad. the incubator was in our bedroom and I got woken up but chirping chicks in the middle of the night. I never put them in lockdown or raised the humidity at all. they were hatching in the egg trays and falling to the bottom. I was horrified and immediately moved them all to the hatching tray. miraculously no chicks were actually harmed and i had almost a perfect hatch. I couldnt believe the difference in unshipped eggs. simply amazing.

yup mistakes happen to all of us but as long as we learn from our experiences its okay.

:coolguy:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:47 pm

My first hatch i turned off the turner but didnt remove it. I spent at least 30 minutes extracating chicks from all the holes and corners and clips.....
I dont know how many batches i drowned after that...thinking 75%humidity =relative humidity and trusting the readout on the incubator. :dunno:
Built a fridge-o-bator and put 200 eggs in. Hatched 1 and it fell between the rack and door and well, i did not have to set up the brooder... :sAng_banghead:
Had a broody mom so i gave her 2 ameraucana eggs (she was an ameraucana) and 6 cornish. They all hatched and she killed every cornish chick while i was at work. Sigh.
Set up incubators and couldnt understand how the temp was being messed with....asked my hubby, nope he wasnt changing it...thought i was going insane until i got up one night and came downstairs because i couldnt sleep and the cat was lying on the top of the incubator on the control panel with the temp at 103F!!! :pull_hair:
I have forgotten to lock down. I have forgotten to turn turners on. I have set and forgot to plug the incubator in...delayed hatch on that one... :angry:
The worst was forgetting to rinse the bleach out well enough and killing a whole set of 41 eggs... :gaah:
I have also dropped eggs while candling and while locking down....crashed a whole dozen once....
I think thats most of my stupidity.....lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:48 am

I just dropped a BSW egg candling it and it was a good one at 14 days. It fell onto some others but didn't break them fortunately. I felt so bad for it!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:14 am

I'm watching this thread with keen interest..doing my very first batch of eggs in my homebuilt incubator...my thermostat failed miserably ( mainly cuz they are crap) and had to toy with the lid position til i had a constant temp... The humidity is at a steady 40-45% and here's hoping the hydrometer is working reasonably accurately and a flatline temp of 100 deg steady...no on and off with the heater and i think the convection current will keep air moving a little in the box...not sure what to do near the end...whats the deal with lockdown?....forgive the questions but this is new and actually quite interesting to me.... :rulez:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:27 am

lockdown: the placing of eggs (not on a turner!) into an incubator with upped humidity, increased ventilation (you want warm moist oxygen rich air) and resisting opening the lid, or touching the eggs, no turning of eggs, and again, leaving the lid closed, until hatch. Usually 3-4 days prior to anticipated hatch day. The lockdown period is usually typified by manic checking of eggs through a viewing window with a flashlight (to aid in visualization) every 2-3 minutes until such time as the first egg pips (beak breaks through the shell for breathing) and then increases to every 1-2 minutes after this until hatch is complete. ;-P

In your case tom, eggs get laid flat on their sides, stop turning, increase your humidity to about 55-60% (others will recommend other % too....i find this works for me) and close it up, make sure there's a vent hole for air, and wait-and doing something else, anything else as you'll see in other threads, to preoccupy yourself so you aren't fussing over the incubator
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:43 am

I can see lots of finished cutting boards in your future Tom ;)
Before you stress out too much, attention to detail is needed for success in hatching, and you have been gifted with that gene.
Also keep in mind Jan hatches hers in a frying pan covered with a sweat shirt (or something similar to that ;)

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:51 am

HAHA OC and heated with an oil lamp, just like in the old days! I think thats just awesome!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Cuttlefish
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:46 am

He he... how about storing your eggs in a cool damp cooler?.....until you pull them out and see mold all over them! D'oh.
Cleaned with quat, air dried... hey, 42% hatch rate! : )
My latest bumble was adding water on day 20 because I didn't think the humidity was high enough, only to have it spike to 85% and then be back down to 52% by the time the pips started to show up! I was patient and left them alone, they did fine! Actually my personal best, 83% hatch rate!

Farm4Fun
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Farm4Fun » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:57 pm

OMG!
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you !!!

Here I am sitting in front of my incubator trying to set the humidity for my lockdown period. I'm reading different threads on this great site when I come across this one. I thought I was doing everything correctly until I read WLLady's advice to TomK and realize that I had to remove the turner and set the eggs on their side.
This is my first time attempting to hatch chicken. Well actually the second since the first batch was a fail because the incubator was not calibrated correctly.
It's always better to learn from others people mistake, I mean experiences, in order to avoid running into the same situations. Hopefully this will help me in having successful end results. Although I'm not going to count my chickens until they've hatched.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your experiences and knowledge.

Return to “Incubating and Hatching”