Retiring a Flock Sire, what do you do?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:47 pm

KB's post made me think of this problem that crops up here from time to time.
I am quite happy to put all the excess cockerels in the freezer at the end of summer, no problem there.
But after spending the summer isolating couple of possible future flock sires, then keeping them thru the winter, working around them, getting to know their temperament and then using them perhaps for a "side" mating, they may be very good birds, but very likely I will only be able to keep one.
Or another possibility, I have used a male for 2 breeding seasons, came up with what I think is a superior of spring, but the 2 year old would be good for another couple of years of breeding and I don't have room to keep nonproductive birds.
How do you deal with this problem?

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Sell him to someone who could use a good rooster even if only to keep their hen's in line.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:09 pm

That is what happened to Lucky from OC. He is a good brave boy, the girls love him and he keeps them in line. He also throws nice birds on my mutts etc. I had bumped off 2 boys before him because the were nasty to the girls.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:21 pm

Yes some roosters are so nice you like to find them a good home.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:20 pm

That would be the perfect solution, but there is only one KB, ;) and one Autumn ;)
the poultry community in Eastern Ontario is much smaller then Central and Southern Ontario, so finding a home for a rooster seems to be difficult even when offered with couple of hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:27 pm

Oh that's too bad, someone would take him if you sent him to mount forest fur and feather sale I'm sure. More so if you sent a hen along with him.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:49 pm

kenya wrote:QR_BBPOST Oh that's too bad, someone would take him if you sent him to mount forest fur and feather sale I'm sure. More so if you sent a hen along with him.
There used to be a group going from this area, drove all night, sounded quite insane to me. ;)
I have been very lucky so far, but will probably stop keeping extras thru the winter, it will just make it harder to choose at 4-5 month especially Wyandottes.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:11 am

Ahh the minute you decide not to keep extras you will lose your main rooster and be stuck having to find a replacement. I've had it happen a couple times to me, with rare breeds as you know its sometimes impossible to find a replacement. I'm still looking for a replacement for my lavender ameraucana rooster. Sometimes Murphy's law strikes and won't let go.

G Williams
On the Roost

Post by G Williams » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:32 am

kenya wrote:QR_BBPOST Ahh the minute you decide not to keep extras you will lose your main rooster and be stuck having to find a replacement. I've had it happen a couple times to me, with rare breeds as you know its sometimes impossible to find a replacement. I'm still looking for a replacement for my lavender ameraucana rooster. Sometimes Murphy's law strikes and won't let go.
That's right. If I need 2 Roosters I keep the 2 old roosters and grow out 2 cockerels. In the spring I select my sires for the year; usually 2. If my 2 youngsters both have good traits I may test mate to determine the best one. If all my roosters make it to next spring I will have 1 surplus.
I even keep a spare in summer. 2 years ago I lost a very promising Cockerel 1 week before breeding season.
Still, it is not easy to rehome good roosters.
If I were breeding more popular varieties I could rely on other breeders for replacements

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:42 am

Too true! I kept 2 cockerals, did not test hatch got rid of my old rooster, and low and behold both cockerals threw offspring I was not thrilled with, should have kept the old rooster.

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”