a slow year ... yeah right!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:04 pm

So last year was a disaster, coccidiosis kept the young birds skinny till late in the year. its the first time I had a problem like this and I swore that 2016 i'd start over and not raise anything. the focus on infrastructure: tearing out old cattle fences and the barnyard, rebuilding the barn inside with pens. the bird shed needs tlc, new yards and paint. build moveable pens for young birds. plant some trees and landscaping and a real veggie garden.

so what did I do? well some tufted romans came along so I had to get those. some Rouen ducks on Kijiji at a price to good to be true so I bought those. My sister put in an order for hybrid ready to lay hens so we're getting a few. Now I'm playing easter bunny and somehow I have hatching eggs for myself. My bator is set up to run a hatch for a friend, and he's giving me eggs. so there'll be 3 dozen in for me.

can I stick to the plan or what?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:57 pm

Sounds like my kind of plan!!!
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:18 pm

Well Im glad you have started! haha! March 9th, No chicks here, I have 18 red eggs saved, getting 2-3 a day. one breeding pen is out of production for lets say 3 weeks due to split tail. I did get a new pair of Pekin Ducks though! I was really hoping to have chicks on the ground by now in order to be ready for the fall shows but hey plans change! So I go with the flow... new plan is to show my first birds at the Sarnia Show 2017. Hoping to hatch n grow out lots of reds, BSWT and lots n lots of quail. turkeys (3 hens) are hiding their eggs or not laying... I dont know but I sent 4 eggs home with Clawton to put in his sportsman. Quail, I kept only the largest birds, 3 hens, 2 males, all over a pound!!!! not laying yet either. OHHHH COME ON! I hope this nice spring weather kicks them in gear! itching to start hatching! N oh I also set up a breeding trio of light brown leghorns, collect eggs in 2 weeks to make sure they arnt mutts. oh oh my geese are laying! looks like 1 goose chose the outdoor dog house nest box and the other chose the inside wooden nest box... why cant they just both use the same one? Roman gander, Embden goose and a cross goose, looks like roman with grey tips on her wings. curious to see what she produces.

Congrats on your new ducks man and good luck with everything!

:beer:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:27 pm

hey Al, you going to the Mt Forest sale? if you go I'll go.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:31 pm

nope sorry hahaha! no I dont plan on getting anything else ;-) oh except for rabbits! we need rabbits! Big fat ones Lizzie says! LOL.

EDIT>>> I say that now... but who know I would really like to go but its pretty far and prolly further for you when in reality I have everything I need already. its those wants that gethca LOL fancy quail, red jungle fowl, ect HAHA :racer:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:38 pm

Oh dear your plans got sort of...........side tracked!! LOL

I am sorry I kind of contributed to that :hide: . FYI I candled the 5 Brabanter eggs my silkie has been sitting on for the past week and they are all fertile!!! So have fun with those :)

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:57 am

Good luck with your hatch, who can say no to that!

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:30 am

I think I have waded into the deep end this year! 7 chicks currently in my shower from my test hatch, 50 chicks ordered from Perfomance Poultry for end of April, and a full incubator (42) to set tonight or tomorrow! Plus the birds I already have. I have officially failed chicken math, or passed with flying colours, depending on your point of view.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Way to go!!!! You passed!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:44 pm

I'm stressing about the 10 eggs I have under a silkie now and a dozen chicks ordered. That's NOTHING compared to you guys.

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”