Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Arbor
Newly Hatched Chick

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by Arbor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:54 pm

This is cool! I'm doing something similar with Lakenvelders. I've got f1 gens for both chocolate and lavender. Looking forward to the day I have lavender lakenvelder, they should be quite impressive!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:17 pm

Very cool, Thank you for posting pictures, very helpful.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:17 am

PPR, that is the coolest thing I have read all day. Kudos to you! You mentioned leg colour is an issue, do you mean getting the white skin replaced with yellow, or are there melanizers, or both?
Seems more and more lovely standard-sized breeds are getting so scarce, it's so nice to see someone dedicated not only to keeping existing ones around, but also bringing back some that have fallen by the wayside.
Sandy, you've heard the saying "if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck"? Well, if it looks like a Rock, and feels like a Rock, it's a Rock, even if one or both of the parents was a *insert breed here*. If I manage to, say, selectively breed my Black Giants down in size, and remove the melanizers from their legs, and lighten their eye colour, change their shape to the Rock shape...even though their ancestry was Giant, they would now be Rocks. Not that I would ever do such a thing, just saying.

SandyM

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by SandyM » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:03 am

I'm totally impressed and blown away that there is even an understanding of how to do this. I can't even seem to put fertilized eggs under a broody LOL. Oops!!!

Yet someone can breed a bird to get another bird and fit it into the category, I'm just flabbergasted.

I'm also perplexed how that works when you want to put it under a heritage breed because really it isn't. It's a new genetic line, it's not a heritage line. I'm guessing chickens aren't that specific.

BobG
On the Roost

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by BobG » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:39 am

For those of you that have Facebook check out Emenheiser Poultry Joe started from scratch making Blue Rocks also .
Chilliwack B.C. Breeder, Exhibitor of SC Large RIR , Brown Red Modern Game Btms, Brown Red O.E. Btms , Grey Call Ducks

precisionplymouthrocks
Newly Hatched Chick

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by precisionplymouthrocks » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:04 pm

BobG wrote:QR_BBPOST For those of you that have Facebook check out Emenheiser Poultry Joe started from scratch making Blue Rocks also .
Joe has amazing birds. I hope to get there in the years to come
Specializing in all LF SOP varieties of Plymouth Rock
http://www.precisionplymouthrocks.com/

precisionplymouthrocks
Newly Hatched Chick

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by precisionplymouthrocks » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:27 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST PPR, that is the coolest thing I have read all day. Kudos to you! You mentioned leg colour is an issue, do you mean getting the white skin replaced with yellow, or are there melanizers, or both?
Seems more and more lovely standard-sized breeds are getting so scarce, it's so nice to see someone dedicated not only to keeping existing ones around, but also bringing back some that have fallen by the wayside.
Sandy, you've heard the saying "if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck"? Well, if it looks like a Rock, and feels like a Rock, it's a Rock, even if one or both of the parents was a *insert breed here*. If I manage to, say, selectively breed my Black Giants down in size, and remove the melanizers from their legs, and lighten their eye colour, change their shape to the Rock shape...even though their ancestry was Giant, they would now be Rocks. Not that I would ever do such a thing, just saying.
I am not sure all the stock used did have yellow legs. I have made two outcrosses in a row to increase the gene pool and create a population to select from. I am hoping as I start to breed within the population the leg colour will improve as I know they all have the right colour in there somewhere

precisionplymouthrocks
Newly Hatched Chick

Blue Plymouth Rocks?

Post by precisionplymouthrocks » Fri May 20, 2016 11:54 pm

This pullet is from this year I think she will fill out nicely over the summer
Attachments
IMG_20160519_104129_edit.jpg

Robbie