Hey green eggs people, a question?

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:30 pm

Shell quality is a heritable trait too. You don't want to set eggs from any hens that lay thin or porous shells. You may want to stick a few of those ameraucana eggs under a broody someday! Sounds like egg layers you'll want to breed.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:12 pm

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST Green would be nice.
The Wyandotte eggs are "tinted" not very dark, I am pretty sure you will be getting "greenish" in F1,
then I guess it depends on where you want to go after that, nice part of the whole exercise, you choose the color of eggs you wish to hatch, that makes the selection so much easier then other traits. ;)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:31 pm

DO you think they'll be mute LOL?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:58 pm

If mom and dad are not both mute i highly doubt it since i am 100% sure that the ability to raise a rukus is completely dominant over muteness lol. But if they are remember you must get people to pay before shipping....um....

My BEST olive layer is a girl from a wheaten marans dad over wheaten ameraucana mom. She is a beautiful wheaten with lightly feathered legs, muffs, beard and incredible olive eggs. Dad's line is 5-6 on the marans egg colour chart. Mom was blue with just a hint of green - not quite blue enough for me breeding program.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:39 pm

WLLady, don't worry about the "sciency" word lol, I'm not a hillbilly! We bred cattle for years and we were big on EPDs so feel free to explain away, you actually made it very clear. So if you saw my first post, the original mothers were Wyandott "bantam", the bantam version lays white eggs or off white, probably why I got a blue egg in there. Now just to give you nice people a hard time, the new father to be will be a "standard" silver laced Wyandott who give light brown eggs. I am happy with what I have learned so far, I was afraid that someone would say the brown could wipe out the green, at least this way I still have a chance for green. This is kinda fun for me and I figured you guys would save me from having to read a bunch of articles on chicken genetics lol.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:23 pm

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST DO you think they'll be mute LOL?
Great marketing strategy. Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”