rookie chicken person

lolotsung
Free Ranging

rookie chicken person

Post by lolotsung » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:48 pm

Hi All,

So I have started a "Chicken Project" to keep the kids busy, teach them about responsibility, and as an educational project. We have 2 Belgium D'Uccle, Mille Fleur roosters and 2 Lavender Orpington roosters, 2 sussex hens, 2 Rhode Island Red hens. From a hatch last year. We were planning on breeding the Belgium D'Uccles and lavender orpingtons but we are fine with buying chicks or eggs whenever we need to. So first question is 1) I'm not sure about this but I think that it may not be a good idea to mix standard and bantam chickens. I think that the bantam hens did not thrive well and maybe that is why they got sick and died. We put up 3 feeders and waterers in different locations because we noticed that the standard hens were sometimes pecking them when they went to the feeder. Also should we only have one type of chicken eg. lavender orpingtons? 2) What do we do with the roosters? Are there places I can post a note saying that I have roosters? Kijiji? Should I bring them to a processor if no one wants them? Note that I would prefer not processing them myself. 3) Should I purchase more chicks so there is more diversity? I read that brothers, sisters, mothers, and fathers should not breed but the breeder said it is ok to breed them because they are from different groups in closed flock. At some point in time I think that I would need to buy chicks from a different flock. Right? and when? in a few years? 4) Does it makes sense to keep only one rooster to "take care of the free ranging flock" or should there be 2? If there are 2 roosters then we would need to double the number of hens. Right? from a 1 to 10 ratio to 2 to 20. I was thinking of this being a "little" project so I'm try trying to keep the numbers down. We have been having a problem with our roosters mating with only the orpington hens and their feathers are missing so I bought 2 saddles for them. Thank you for your help. We live in Caledon, Ontario.
Lavender Orpington Rooster
Lavender Orpington Rooster
Mille Fleur Belgium D'Uccle Rooster
Mille Fleur Belgium D'Uccle Rooster
Regards,

Lolo
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: rookie chicken person

Post by kenya » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:33 pm

In my opinion you have too many roosters if you want them to all free range together, plus it's too hard on the hens. I would sell one of the Orpington roosters and one of the Millie Fleur roosters. Sell them on Kijiji works well for me, this time of year people are looking to replace roosters or get outside roosters to breed their hens.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:38 pm

Phew!

I'll take a kick at some of these questions.
I separate my standards from my silkies and showgirls. I have found over time it works better for me. Also standard breeds have a lot to do with it. You may have too may roosters for your hens. 4 Roosters to 4 hens. Typically, 1 rooster to 10 hens. You can try and sell your extra rooster here under for sale.
You have a nice looking group BTW.
You can also get some hatching eggs or chicks. Both are fun for the kids. All depends are what you'd like to do. I have a mixed standard flock. I do have a breeding group of Bielefelder's. But I also have Cochins, Marans, Barnvelders, and a few others.
Which ever way you decide to go is up to you and you can always change your mind and go a different direction. This is a great hobby for that. You are never locked into to anything.
I sell most of my chicks through fb.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:39 pm

If you have no Millie Fleur hens then I suggest selling those 2 roosters , if you want to breed you will have to fence off the two breeds. The roosters will all fight, too many roosters is just trouble.

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:01 pm

How do you sell roosters on Facebook? I'm not familiar with it. Is there a Facebook Poultry Group for Ontario?

I will try Kijiji and also this group. Thank-you for your help.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:29 pm

@Kbr42 can help you out on the FB!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:56 pm

lolotsung wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:01 pm
How do you sell roosters on Facebook? I'm not familiar with it. Is there a Facebook Poultry Group for Ontario?

I will try Kijiji and also this group. Thank-you for your help.
You can try Rehoming Roosters Ontario, Ontario Poultry and Waterfowl are 2 good spots. Read some of the post they are very picky on wording. Good luck!

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:17 pm

Thank-you!

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:49 pm

Update on Rehoming 4? Roosters project...No replies on Rehoming Rooster, 4 replies on kijiji, 1 reply on Ontario Poultry Facebook. I did not write anything on Ontario Poultry and Waterfowl because they looked quite strict about $, sale, etc. Someone will be dropping buy to pick up MAYBE 4 roosters tomorrow. So my questions is: We just put 8 lavender orpington eggs into the incubator and will most likely have 3 or 4 more roosters so should I give ALL the roosters to the person dropping by tomorrow? Thank you for your help.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:06 pm

@lolotsung I would keep your nicest rooster. Anything might happen with your hatch and you can make a decision when the youngsters are hatched, sexed and grown up a bit! I say this because a few years ago I rehomed a nice turkey tom to a breeding home. A couple of months later my only boy died suddenly. Fortunately the girls were fertile by then and I managed to get another boy later but it's chancy!
BTW I love the dog.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”