Setting up Breeding Groups

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:42 pm

Not a pro here , have a ? Is your plan to breed the chanty hens to him then put him back with the other hens , chanteys & rooster all together in main pen as before . ? Have I got that right ? If so I'd just leave him with other hens & rooster long as they get along then put with chanteys after purge . Only thing I'd watch for is other rooster being dominant when they go back together . Free range would be no problem but in close quarters could be an issue . Hope helped . Luck
Last edited by ross on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:46 pm

I would just move him and the girls at the same time. Unless the girls need a break. And unless you are going to move him back into the general group...
One thing to consider-if you dont move him until 2-3 weeks are over you can crack a couple eggs and see they arent fertilized anymore AND probably make him and the girls more receptive to each other when the girls have missed him for a bit.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:00 pm

Bakers Backyard wrote:QR_BBPOST
My chantecler Roo is the dominant rooster over the whole lot, so do I need to bring him along for the two week purge, or can I just separate the hens, give them two weeks, then move him in to breed? I don't want him away from the main flock too long as I don't want any issues with reintroduction.
Opinions welcome ;) Thanks
Very sensible approach and I am sure the hens will appreciate a break! :)

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”