Somebody talk me out of this...

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Somebody talk me out of this...

Post by Happy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:10 am

Ellie-May is talking to her eggs this morning. Pretty sure I heard a peep peep peep back. They're not due to hatch until Monday
:hands:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:09 am

Added heat speeding thinks up ? ;)

Happy

Post by Happy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:22 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:09 am
Added heat speeding thinks up ? ;)
They are Bantam eggs. Every time I have incubated them in an incubator they have been early. But when my Bantam hens sit on them they are 20-21 days. I'm wondering if the added heat and a Standard hen maybe?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:21 pm

Interesting, I must admit I was guilty of keeping the incubator temperature up a smidgen when I was incubating, just to avoid the nerve racking wait for the last day or two of the hatch.
the weather has got to play a role, a brave girl sitting thru this :YES:

Happy

Post by Happy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:15 pm

I have 5 sitting 😳
3 have eggs and two are "sympathy sitters"...like labor coaches 😂. They've all done really well. I've had fans on them and loads of cold treats. Ellie-May is the only standard sitting. The little girls are not bothered by heat at all.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:37 pm

Wow, 5 sitting..i have 2 of my showgirls trying to sit and I won't let them. They have each had 2 lota of chicks. I'm done....so are they...only they don't know it yet🤣

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:10 am

just had a duck hatch 18. i gave her another 2 which she accepted with no problems at all. another 3 ducks sitting...conservative egg count is 50....a hen sitting on 9. 1 hatched...2 days later another and those were taken to the brooder because she had not intention of getting up to show them water or food. another hen on 6 eggs last week which is now about 12 eggs after collecting all the eggs she can find. funniest is she is an egg eater and was thus thrown out of a breeding pen because she would eat all the eggs....and now she is sitting happily screaming at everyone on 12 eggs. i do not even try to understand.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:03 am

I got 8 Marans eggs and set a hen 3 wks ago, no pipping, but peeping from in the intact shell today. When she gets out of that broody pen, there are two more wanting space. And my other broody pen is about a week away from hatching.

I set Peachy yesterday on 8 of my bluest eggs, which is not real deep blue. The wheaten EE roo I had went to a new home on Wednesday, but I am thinking these should still be his pollen. The new neighbors (Viet boat people) were very pleased to have him come stay at their place. They didnt have a pen ready yet. Or did they say pan? Not sure, but they were excited. The roo I still have is a brown leghorn from eggs I got from paltry-admin and WLL last fall. He had been getting a beating from the EE, then the EE took a run at St, Catherine, so rehomed.

So, three setting right now, two more ladies in waiting. Don't know why things didnt go better in the spring, but its looking good now. Five from a previous hatch, three for sure pullets, maybe four, and the fifth is a roo who will replace his daddy.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Happy

Post by Happy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:03 am

Two chicks out and one working on it as we speak. Pretty sure the two hatched are little girls-little chipmunks with defined stripes and eye-liner. So far mom is being very good with them. Always worried about first-timers

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:07 pm

"I'm curious to see what the chicks would look like" is ALWAYS a good enough reason to hatch roflmbo

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”