Plans for 2018 breeding season...

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Plans for 2018 breeding season...

Post by TomK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Gill..the dog thing is totally off topic here , lol, but it makes a point...i watched the dogs go to overangulated hyper animals with zero stamina ...it made me sad....and the judges didnt have the gonads to just say 'no winner' when presented with an entry list of this type of animal...none were to the breed standard...I know nothing about the SOP for the birds and in truth don't have the time nor inclination to study that hard..lol...so healthy happy birds it is..but I seriously need to get the backbone up to cull these guys...no one wants beautiful roosters..sigh. :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:51 pm

AT least mine are ugly! Oh except for the one with the "cute" gene.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:01 pm

@TomK , it's not that I don't *want* beautiful roosters, it's that I can't *have* them where I live. ;-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:48 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:30 am
From Chunky over Kibbles & Bits, all blues. When I told OC that the roosters I'd bred were AWFUL crow headed, split breasted, off colour, silver leakage birds I don't think she believed me, then she saw them LOL! All 8 of them for freezer camp. Now for the pullets - 1 blue with a second possibly now she's doing her adult moult, 4 Columbians, 3 dilute blue AND wait for it..... 3 WHITE, Duh????? Also one of the roosters is white.
So next year I will do what I'm told by OC because genetics makes my head hurt.
:lol:
Genetics make my head hurt too, that's why I invite Jan and Kathy to contribute. :)
Went back to my smart book, and as far as I can determine we have done a test breeding, showing us all that is in there and it includes a single copy of a dominant white, which makes sense since I know there were some White Wyandottes in there way back.
Now, I have always made an effort to avoid finding out what is in there :) so I guess we better put it back together again and "cover it well" :)

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:29 pm

[/quote]
Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:30 am
From Chunky over Kibbles & Bits, all blues. When I told OC that the roosters I'd bred were AWFUL crow headed, split breasted, off colour, silver leakage birds I don't think she believed me, then she saw them LOL! All 8 of them for freezer camp. Now for the pullets - 1 blue with a second possibly now she's doing her adult moult, 4 Columbians, 3 dilute blue AND wait for it..... 3 WHITE, Duh????? Also one of the roosters is white.
So next year I will do what I'm told by OC because genetics makes my head hurt.
White birds doesn't surprise me. I've got a few of those, two of which are pure white with no hint of darker splotches anywhere. Them's the breaks when someone, somewhere, was silver based (a.k.a. dominant white), which you now know is in their make-up somewhere. But, I would be surprised if it came from White Wyandottes, since they are generally recessive white...unless of course someone outcrossed them as well in the past. Sometimes, cans of worms should not be examined too closely, you just grab the fattest, juiciest ones and hope to catch fish ;) Think of dominant white as an absence of colour, it inhibits colour expression.
Recessive white has its pitfalls too, in that it inhibits size. You will struggle with undersized birds.
Genetics makes my head hurt too, to me it looks like someone is reciting the periodic table, but the letters are from a different alphabet lol.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Something else is niggling at me too,
The Blue Columbian being based on Blues (not Self Blue) will inevitably breed the same way as Blue, so in theory there will be need to breed back to Columbian to retain good quality Blue Columbian.
Breeding Blue Columbian to Blue Columbian will give us 50% Blue Columbian, 25% Columbian and 25% dilute/washed out Columbian, possibly while looking birds.
Bit like my Splash Ameraucana, although genetically Splash actually appears to be white.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:58 am

OK guys, I just had a thought! Not sure my numbers mean very much re low Blues. My hatchability was very poor (fertility and viability good) under my broody girls but the hatchability was poor and I had to cull at least one at hatch. Wondering if there is something else going on here too.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 am

Now KB, we are already confused by the known and almost known, I am not ready for the unknown yet :)
To my simple mind, I think it was too early to try for sibling mating, to lock in the variety, luckily I still have all the original birds, so we can have a go at it from a different direction.
When you take your cockerels to Jan's, ask her to look at the type, see if any of them are leaning towards Wyandotte type?

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:34 am

Will do! Did you get that Jan?
Mutt chickens for eggs

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Look for Wyandotte-y type BEFORE heads come off, got it. Actually, I better write myself a big fluorescent note.

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”