Plans for 2018 breeding season...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Plans for 2018 breeding season...

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:02 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:44 pm
Look for Wyandotte-y type BEFORE heads come off, got it. Actually, I better write myself a big fluorescent note.
:)
When I saw them they were 3.5 month old and soaking wet, so just wondering if they were really as pathetic as they looked on that day?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Yup, they are! ZIppo breast on them, scrawny little whotsits!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:15 am

Funny thing is they have the choice of 2 coops. 5 males go into one coop each night, the little wry necked guy goes into the other so he doesn't get picked on BUT the 6 little pullets all troop in with him. I swear he winks! That's gonna be a tough weekend at Jans LOL, fair warning!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:27 am

Spent an hour running all the possible permutations of Blue Columbian breeding and as I have suspected, once cleaned up sufficiently, it will narrow down to Blue Columbians, Calumbian and Splash, since they will breed the same way as Blues.
Didn't say anything about crappy type though. :)
My efforts at breeding a new improved Columbian cockerel by breeding Columbia cockerel to Black hens is a bit clearer, I should get 50% Columbian and 50% Black or, 100% black with some carrying the Columbian gene, but no way to tell which, so another year bites the dust.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:10 pm

OK so I don't think the cockerel is white after all. Where the 3 pullets are white he is that creamy streaked colour that indicates silver leakage?
Mutt chickens for eggs

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:07 pm

My plans for 2018 breeding season? Broodies, with whatever eggs are there that day.

But I do have another plan too. Poached eggs. I know where someone else has done all the selective breeding and knows a lot about genetics. So I will poach some eggs when its time, from Our Lady Of West Lorne. At least that's my plan.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:33 pm

@WLLady any insights?

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:12 pm

I think looking at the boys I should stick with turkeys!
Mutt chickens for eggs

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:25 pm

Do you have any photos of said leaky something or another boys? I work well with photos and then i am going to hqve to go back qnd reread everything.....unless someone wants to scribble down everything again lol.....i am just headed to sleep but will try to visit here again tomorrow...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:34 am

okay...so one of my issues with the genetics.....if you have Columbian carrying solids-they can be 1 copy or 2. BUT if your solid colours (black or blues) are truly solid, and do not have lighter underfluff on the tummies they are likely split eb/ER, or have a pile of enhancers that will confound the genetics....IF they are split eb/ER you will need at least 64 birds of EACH breeding to get one columbian boy and one columbian girl, each in black and the same for blue columbian. but we'll ignore the potential eb/ER genotype....so your black columbian x blue solid = 64 birds to get 1 black Co boy and 1 black Co girl and 1 blue Co boy and 1 blue Co girl - theoretically. IF your solids are Co/Co, then you are laughing because your kids will be Co/Co. if they aren't, you will get Co/co and then the next generation will get birds that do not carry Co (co/co) and will get birds that are not columbian restricted 50% of the time if bred back to another Co/co. The problem there being you, observing the chickens, cannot tell a Co/co from Co/Co. they look the same because it only takes 1 copy of Co to restrict the columbian pattern. So you won't find that out until the 2nd generation. So, if you set up a solid blue hen with a black columbian boy....that's 64 birds needed hatched MINIMUM. and if you want to do the blue columbian over (or under) black solid that's another 64 birds. so 128 all told. you may get 2 of each that you want (blue and black Co) in boy and girl from each set. MAYBE.
honestly, given these are just probabilities what i would do is put all the blue and black solid girls that you know carry at least 1 copy of Co into a pen and throw in your nicest black columbian (hopefully Co/Co) boy and hatch EVERYTHING. if you can do multiple pens if you have more than 1 nice rooster.....hatch everything, make your best guess when they feather in on the columbian restriction, grow out as many as you can for at least the 2nd moult and go from there based first on your restriction wants (columbian) and colour. then worry about the comb later once you have the correct restriction and colour for at least 2 generations. with these combos you'll get tons of black compared to blue, likely a few splash in there, but hopefully something half decent to continue forward. just remember if you want a nice type MALE offspring, use your best typed HENS under a lesser typed boy. If you want the nicer type in the female offspring, use a nice type boy over lesser type hens. the traits pass hen-son and rooster-daughter....

so. best black columbian boy over lesser typed black and blue hens should give you a some black columbian boys and girls and a very few blue restricted columbian boys and girls with the girls having better form/type and boys lesser type/form. best black columbian hen under blue boy of lesser type should give you the same with better type/form in the boys than the girls.

as a guideline. because what mother nature decides to do is what you need to go with.....if it's the year of the cockerel again, then you might just get the boys this year, and the girls next.....lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”