What colour / sex am I ???? BATCH # 1

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Re: What colour / sex am I ???? BATCH # 1

Post by Shnookie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:20 pm

The black Ameraucana x EO chicks I hatched last year had black legs like your black chick. I see it has a black comb. Are there a lot of breeds with black combs?
My guess on the yellow ones is male on left, female on right in the first picture. Two males in the second picture. Any prizes for being right? HaHa!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Even if mom was a full blue with red leakage on a mixed e locus there is no way that kids could happen unless another hen also has mixed e locus (preferabley Er) in which case both this chicks mom and dad would not be columbian restricted. This black chick cannot be from your stock....unless she/he/it is monozygotic which doesnt happen in birds. Period....

In your photos with 2 birds each....the top is male on left female on right. My bet is both black or very very dark blue (most likely black) second photo my bet is boy on right female on left and lighter blue.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Shnookie wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:20 pm
The black Ameraucana x EO chicks I hatched last year had black legs like your black chick. I see it has a black comb. Are there a lot of breeds with black combs?
Sumatra and Silkie are the most common breeds with black combs that persist into adulthood. Lots of black variants of other breeds will have some chicks with black or partially black combs, but also their feet will look yellow....and as they get older, the black colour will fade from their combs, and creep down their legs and toes as if gravity is pulling the colour downward lol. This black chick has black on his feet all the way to his toe tips, and any chicks that I have that are THAT black, the comb colour doesn't fade much--at maturity it is purplish, and so are wattles. I don't know if this chick will be THAT black, but her down colour, toes colour and the lack of lighter spots on her comb make me suspect it is so. I think it is a backyard mix bantam like one of my own. They have Silkie blood several generations back, and I still get the odd one with gypsy face (dark skin persisting into adulthood), or strange combs, or feather stubs on legs. But since this chick still has visible yellow on the ends of her toes, I am STILL going to hope for that one-in-a-million black Wyandotte for OC, because, what else can we do? :rofl:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Hard not to think at this point that it was somebody's idea of a bad joke? :)
I like Kathy's scientific position....not possible ! :)
My completely unscientific take ...anything is possible :)
Jan the only one who noticed different type, which I didn't notice since I couldn't see past all that BLACK!!!
The really funny part, this chick "Ralfette" I think, has completely different temperament than Wyandottes.....
sooo, anybody need a very friendly BLACK chick???

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:43 pm

I might.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:18 am

@Ontario Chick has had strange things happen in her flock before...like the hen feathered rooster, so who knows?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:59 am

LOL. i would never discount a totally new mutation either, however.....LOL
whatever that one is, it will be VERY dark. ;-P
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:53 am

WLLady wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:59 am
LOL. i would never discount a totally new mutation either, however.....LOL
whatever that one is, it will be VERY dark..
and now I can add to the "very dark" somewhat small and very friendly....
This may be the most difficult guessing game ever, because nobody knows the answer...;)

[/quote]
windwalkingwolf wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:18 am
@Ontario Chick has had strange things happen in her flock before...like the hen feathered rooster, so who knows?
see here, my theory, you live long enough you will come across pretty much one of everything eventually .... ;)

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:56 pm

Can the custom hatcher tell you what it is?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:20 am

Shnookie wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:56 pm
Can the custom hatcher tell you what it is?
Only if they have them sexed, which they don't.

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”