Buff Brahma over black Wyandott?

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Buff Brahma over black Wyandott?

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon May 22, 2017 10:45 pm

So as life goes, Clinton my black Wyandott rooster had to be put down this morning, while his chicks are hatching out this evening, a little ironic. I am not going to replace him, I was wondering what would I get if I breed the black Wyandott bantam hens to my buff Brahma bantam rooster. Will the chicks all be just black?

Also as an experiment I am going to see how long the hens remain fertile, he has not been able to breed since last Saturday.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Buff Brahma over black Wyandott?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon May 22, 2017 11:38 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 10:45 pm
So as life goes, Clinton my black Wyandott rooster had to be put down this morning, while his chicks are hatching out this evening, a little ironic. I am not going to replace him, I was wondering what would I get if I breed the black Wyandott bantam hens to my buff Brahma bantam rooster. Will the chicks all be just black?

Also as an experiment I am going to see how long the hens remain fertile, he has not been able to breed since last Saturday.
Sorry to hear about Clinton :( I don't know about the columbian gene, how it would affect colour of the chicks, but I know a solid buff like a Buff Orpington x a solid black like a Giant will generally give you beautiful black chicks with gold, and sometimes buff chickens with black. No pattern, just random-seeming splashes and lacing.

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”