What did I do now!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

What did I do now!

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun May 07, 2017 9:47 am

I bought Welsummer eggs at an auction, it was at the end so I got them for $3 per dozen. I thought the guy said 3 dozen so I took them all, it was five dozen! :shocked:

I put them all in so my incubator is full, last night I checked and nine were not fertile, another nine are iffy but that's fine, the rest have big strong embryos inside and I want the room for my bantams. So I need to read about Welsummers. Good thing I quit raising chickens, imagine how many I would have if I was still raising them!

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Re: What did I do now!

Post by thegawd » Sun May 07, 2017 10:15 am

:rofl: hahahaha best of luck with everything! especially the part where you stopped raising chickens!

:coolguy:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun May 07, 2017 5:38 pm

Ha! Ha! Ha! Just can't help yourself can you. You'll like wellsommers, at least I did when I raised them. I found their eggs nice and dark more consistantly than marans also better layers than marans. Their eggs are more of a terracotta colour but if I wanted a dark egg layer I would go for them ahead of a marans who only potentially might lay a dark egg once in a blue moon.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun May 07, 2017 6:28 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 9:47 am
Good thing I quit raising chickens, imagine how many I would have if I was still raising them!
:rofl:
Have you considered going in to business? I hear you can make real money raising chickens?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue May 09, 2017 9:20 am

i love my welsummers :-) great foragers! and quite friendly (except some of the males can get a bit ornery). they do lay well, i find the eggs aren't quite as dark as marans, but they're wonderfully speckled and they lay very consistently (much better than marans).

i think SR - that's called chicken math. even for those that quit chickens ;-P
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri May 12, 2017 11:49 pm

:doh: Chicken math, lol that's right!

As it stands, six of the nine "iffy" ones are good so let's see, 18 - from 60 add back in six, carry the one, get out the calculator because I'm tired, don't drop the one because you don't want to break any eggs and presto = four dozen! I sure hope they don't come out half silkie or something. The eggs are really really dark, so at least the mothers must be Welsummer. Some look just like terracotta and some are brown with really dark brown spots all over the eggs.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat May 13, 2017 4:54 am

Hahaha! You've got it BAD!

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”