Breeding Pomeranian Pouter Question

PigeonManNick
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by PigeonManNick » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:32 pm

I've recently acquired a pair of Pomeranian pouter pigeons. I've kept them in a cage separate from my other birds for quarantine purposes. I have had them for about 3 weeks, and they have been mating quite a bit. The hen laid a clutch of two eggs the other day and is now sitting on them. I did some research and found that pouter pigeons are susceptible to sour crop. If I let them hatch these chicks and raise them, is there a risk for sour crop? I've emailed a few breeders and some of them said it isn't a big issue, while others have said it is. If anyone can tell me if sour crop is an issue with them raising chicks please let me know, Thanks.
White Homing Pigeons, American and English Budgies, and Finches
Email to see what I have available budgie789@gmail.com

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:49 pm

I feed turkey or poultry grower pellets to them 24/7 & never have the problem .The blower breeds I've found on grains or rationed feed can get into sour crop more than others but with pelleted feed in front of them they don't seem to . They won't like the taste at first but will get used to it . They will drink more water because feed is dry & there fore droppings will be wetter . Luck
If yu raise some I could be interested in buying a pr off yu .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

PigeonManNick
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by PigeonManNick » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:02 pm

ross wrote:QR_BBPOST I feed turkey or poultry grower pellets to them 24/7 & never have the problem .The blower breeds I've found on grains or rationed feed can get into sour crop more than others but with pelleted feed in front of them they don't seem to . They won't like the taste at first but will get used to it . They will drink more water because feed is dry & there fore droppings will be wetter . Luck
If yu raise some I could be interested in buying a pr off yu .
Thanks Ross, I've been feeding them grower already and they seem to be eating it. Hoping for some young ones soon!
White Homing Pigeons, American and English Budgies, and Finches
Email to see what I have available budgie789@gmail.com

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:34 am

Sounds good nick .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”