How many for sale?
Incubator or a broody hen?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Spring 2017 hatching plans..

Post by WLLady » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:26 pm

LOL. dangerous questions all of them!

incubator.....that holds 288 eggs. will be FULL.
okay, IS full. but it's not all for me. BVF has a few in there, and i have some and another friend has some. so about 1/3 are for each of us.

my plans are to replace pretty much everyone this year. the older pairs/trios will likely get moved on to new homes, while the younger ones will set up my breeders for the next couple of years. i am running with 7 or 8 different breeds, with 2 lines per breed give or take. i'm hoping that my welbar and rhodebars are far enough along that i can offer for sale later this summer. first batches are in the incubator right now. all told i will only keep about 80 birds and move out the rest. turkey wise i am going to expand to 3 breeds, breeders on each. this year i will be getting calicos from my royal palm x red palm birds, i lost my royal palm boy over the winter, so will be looking to acquire one somewhere-if we hatch some from BVF i'll get one there, and trade her....lol. so i will have one pen of royal palms, one of red palms and one of red slates, and the red slates will give me bronze, lavender and red slates back. wanting 3 jennies and a tom on each.....i just like the colours and the noise and don't really need a lot of toms around, but should probably keep a few extras puttering around just in case.

so. i am hatching chickens next weekend all going well, with a few chickens and turkeys the week after and then more turkeys the week after that. and hopefully getting up to the wyoming sale in may. :-)
that's my plan. and it's all subject to change of course.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:52 pm

I am only going to let broodies hatch this year. I am already overrun with turkeys that I'm not allowed to/can't cull, mostly they're far too nice to go. I said at the end of last year that was the plan.
:big chicken:
roflmbo

Sadly one of my broodies who has been so good for the last 2 years popped off one night so...... I may have to fire up the SPORTSMAN, just to test it you understand. I can feel this all going off the rails as I type!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:30 pm

Well I'm going to focus on my bantam ameraucanas, bantam white crested black polish, and some silkies. I will hatch out some standards but not many.
I lost my best bantam ameraucana hen though my own stupidity so I best replace her while some of her genes are still running around.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:39 pm

My black Wyandotts are the only good quality birds I have now so I am actually going to pull out the incubator tonight and see if it's working ok. I got it wet last year before I put it away, hopefully it still works.

I will keep the little chicks for the summer, if the hens want to hatch later then that is fine.
Some of the other bantams I have now are pretty like Wheaton OEGs only slightly bigger, I will let them hatch their own and keep them for the summer as well.

I forgot to check out my incubator before the sale and I really regret not doing that because hatching eggs were going cheap at the sale, a lot of good eggs went slightly above ten, not really sure why. I didn't bid because if the incubator didn't work, then the eggs would be worthless.

madison174
On the Roost

Post by madison174 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:27 pm

I bought a sportsman this year...and I'm loving it. Used to run a few different incubators and it was tricky. Now, I set one rack per week (not always full, actually, rarely full) and just move them down as they incubate. By lockdown they're at the bottom tray, and they go into my brinsea to hatch. 2 units....not 4. LOVE IT. All silkies, a variety of colours. This is my second year of farm life and 'legal' chickens, so I'm building my lines and options (colour and feather) and keeping some of my special ones for myself....but selling a few as well. Finally got my frizzled sizzle naked neck silkie...darned thing only has 4 toes on one foot. I guess working for this makes it worth while...it's never boring!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:34 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST that's my plan. and it's all subject to change of course.
:smile: that of course goes without saying ;)
Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST ..... I may have to fire up the SPORTSMAN, just to test it you understand. I can feel this all going off the rails as I type!
You can't really have SPORTSMAN without testing it, pretty sure that's against some sort of law?
kenya wrote:QR_BBPOST Well I'm going to focus on my bantam ameraucanas, bantam white crested black polish, and some silkies. I will hatch out some standards but not many.
Sounds like great fun to me, wish you were closer I think I would be very tempted by the bantam Ameraucanas.
Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST forgot to check out my incubator before the sale and I really regret not doing that because hatching eggs were going cheap at the sale, a lot of good eggs went slightly above ten, not really sure why. I didn't bid because if the incubator didn't work, then the eggs would be worthless.
I see some surprise chicks in your future.......
madison174 wrote:QR_BBPOST I bought a sportsman this year...and I'm loving it. Used to run a few different incubators and it was tricky. Now, I set one rack per week (not always full, actually, rarely full) and just move them down as they incubate. By lockdown they're at the bottom tray, and they go into my brinsea to hatch
Gill, you are paying attention, right??? ;)

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:02 pm

I have done 2 small test hatches, cooked a bunch of eggs. :(

I am breeding and hatching ayam cemani, svart hona, cream legbars, BC marans, olive eggers and Beltsville turkeys most of the chicks I hatch I hope to sell, I replaced all my birds last year. My goal would be to hatch 250 chicks total from these breeds.

I am also breeding Mottled Houdans, Bielefelders and Cuckoo Malines, I only have a few birds of these breeds so most of what I hatch I will keep to build up my breeding numbers for next year, and surplus males I will raise for the freezer.

All my eggs are going in the incubator, though I have a BC marans hen that keeps trying to go broody, so I may let her hatch a few eggs later in the spring.

I have also ordered some eggs from a few other breeders to expand my bloodlines, so I will hatch those and raise them up and sell extras come fall once I have selected what I want to keep for next year.

My incubators are empty right now but eggs going in this week... ayam cemani, BC marans, cream legbar, bielefelder, sweetgrass turkeys and chocolate turkeys... 82 eggs total.

I need a bigger incubator.

KB if you need to test out your Sportsman I can bring you some eggs.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

madison174
On the Roost

Post by madison174 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:44 pm

I'm paying attention OntarioChick...too much attention ;) I've learned from you bunch of enablers all too well LOL!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:35 pm

JimW wrote:QR_BBPOST KB if you need to test out your Sportsman I can bring you some eggs.
Hey, I have dibs! ;)
madison174 wrote:QR_BBPOST I'm paying attention OntarioChick...too much attention I've learned from you bunch of enablers all too well LOL!
Just a friendly encouragement, everybody needs some of that, accept Jim, who seems to be doing just fine without any....;)

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”