Back in business lol.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Back in business lol.

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:46 pm

I am in business, today both little hens laid an egg, it was exciting to see Hillary standing in line waiting for Monica to finish, :laying egg: :laying egg: so that means I doubled my production :yippiechickie: The pullet "Monica" has given me an egg the last three days. Even better the rooster "Clinton" has suddenly become a Randy rooster and is doing his job :flight attendend: he has gone from nearly zero to breeding constantly. I felt he was about to change because starting last week he charges into the pen door when he sees me coming. Little big man protecting his flock. I am collecting eggs and will probably pull out the incubator next week if this keeps up.

I'm kinda turning over the idea of getting some of those ready to lay leghorns and Ameraucana rooster to create some super EE laying hens. Although that sounds like work, but the main thing is the leghorns would be more bio secure than something from a sale. I am even thinking about getting rid of the trio as soon as I hatch some eggs. So many possibilities, which path to take.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Back in business lol.

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:26 am

WHOO HOO! If you decide to make some EEs using production Leghorns, I will buy those Leghorn ladies when you're done with them. I did this a few years ago and LOVED LOVED LOVED the result--little girls that laid whacktons of big baby blue eggs AND would go broody!

labradors
Head Chicken

Back in business lol.

Post by labradors » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:26 am

Congratulations on your little flock. I love the names :)

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Back in business lol.

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:20 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST WHOO HOO! If you decide to make some EEs using production Leghorns, I will buy those Leghorn ladies when you're done with them. I did this a few years ago and LOVED LOVED LOVED the result--little girls that laid whacktons of big baby blue eggs AND would go broody!
Really go broody? I thought the leghorn would bleach that gene out. Although I do remember having cross breed leghorns as a kid but they were not good at staying on the eggs long enough. My Ameraucanas were as good at hatching as my bantams in those days.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Back in business lol.

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:40 pm

You would think so, but it didn't work that way for me. I had one girl that sat for two weeks and then gave up, but the rest were great. I still have one of them, she's 6 years old and still a great layer...and has tried to go broody on a fake egg twice this winter.

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”