Going forward plans.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Going forward plans.

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:34 am

I'm thinking about spring and to be honest, I have no desire to hatch anything. The trio I have are the worst layers I ever owned. One egg every 3 days and now with the cold weather, they stopped almost a week. I'm thinking about selling them the first chance I get and just buying some old hens and a rooster or two and let them run around for the summer. That way if I sell the farm or if something eats one, it's not a big of a deal as if they were fancy pure breeds. I think I might enjoy them better, just come home from work and open the doors until dark or let them out in the morning on weekends and close up at night. As long as I get a few eggs to eat I'm happy and maybe someone would hatch in the summer but not a big deal if they don't.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Going forward plans.

Post by ross » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:53 am

Sure takes a load off your mind if not concerned bout them . I have bout 30 here , real free range 24/7 10 are roosters / Cockerals which we eat as needed no freezer birds . I've found here that I've lost more in pens/ captivity than running free in & out of barn . Providing entertainment & bug control plus 10-12 eggs per day but feed cost is low . These are banty mixes & one 5 some of chanty bantams ,2 roosters 3 hen's . Luck
Last edited by ross on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Going forward plans.

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:18 pm

I pretty much do that here anyway...open doors in daytime and close em at night. I am only wanting to incubate (or better yet let a hen go broody) because some of my girls are getting older and I have a customer base of egg buyers now...I also have finally figured out which breeds I can live with!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Going forward plans.

Post by Jaye » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:43 pm

SR, mine only just started laying again last week. I think it may have to do with the strange winter we are having in theses parts, because last year they were still laying through most of the winter, save a few weeks in January.
They are all over three years old this year too, so that doesn't help, but ...
my 6 year old BSL hen has finally retired after producing 5-6 eggs a week all year every year (minus 6 weeks during her moult);
my 3 year old Speckled Sussex never was a very good layer, certainly not a good winter layer, and I think she has something wrong with her reproductive plumbing, because she never came back into lay after her fall moult last year;
my Ameraucana only started back up a few weeks ago, and historically she's been a good winter layer;
my Euskal Oiloa started up briefly after her moult last fall, then promptly went into another moult and only started up laying again just last week
The only hen that layed pretty much all season except when she went broody in early winter is my 7 year old Silkie, and even she went through a period where she only produced one egg every two or three days.
All my hens were consistent 3-4 egg a week layers in previous winters. They show no signs of parasites or illness, so I'm blaming this crazy weather. All that to say, don't give up on your bantams just yet. :-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Going forward plans.

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:01 am

Jaye wrote:QR_BBPOST SR, mine only just started laying again last week. I think it may have to do with the strange winter we are having in theses parts, because last year they were still laying through most of the winter, save a few weeks in January.
They are all over three years old this year too, so that doesn't help, but ...
my 6 year old BSL hen has finally retired after producing 5-6 eggs a week all year every year (minus 6 weeks during her moult);
my 3 year old Speckled Sussex never was a very good layer, certainly not a good winter layer, and I think she has something wrong with her reproductive plumbing, because she never came back into lay after her fall moult last year;
my Ameraucana only started back up a few weeks ago, and historically she's been a good winter layer;
my Euskal Oiloa started up briefly after her moult last fall, then promptly went into another moult and only started up laying again just last week
The only hen that layed pretty much all season except when she went broody in early winter is my 7 year old Silkie, and even she went through a period where she only produced one egg every two or three days.
All my hens were consistent 3-4 egg a week layers in previous winters. They show no signs of parasites or illness, so I'm blaming this crazy weather. All that to say, don't give up on your bantams just yet. :-)
You are probably right Jay, it's only the beginning of March and it has been cold here lately. I think as well these bantams must have been in small cages, they are not active at all, healthy just not active. I put a bale of hay in there and they never touch it. My guys would have been all over it, I never see them even standing on it.

Ross, bantams are my favorite, if I could I would rather get a bunch of mixed bantams or half bantams. They usually have a lot more character and fun to watch, and for sure there would be chicks.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Going forward plans.

Post by Happy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:30 am

Skinny Rooster I have thought many times that I might like to have nothing but game bantams. They are so friendly but also very self sufficient. I never worry about mine free ranging because my rooster is awesome and they can fly quite a distance when they feel like it. I kind of wonder if I would enjoy having chickens more. As things are now the birds don't get out unless I'm home and the dogs stay out with them. And I feel guilty leaving them in their pen. I don't think I will ever be able to not think of them as pets and that seems to equal guilt/work in my brain. I've just recently realized that the first year I had chickens was my most enjoyable. All hens no rooster...Opened the door in the morning and closed it up at dusk. Didn't think about altering the coop or adding a pen or keeping wild birds out. Ignorance was bliss I guess!
On the flip side-all game banties probably means no eggs for 4 months out of the year...Not appealing!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Going forward plans.

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:09 pm

Happy I did have OEG bantams, blacks and Wheatons, I really like them too. They are just so itty bitty I think they would be a target for everything. Plus then I would worry about them and I would be back to square one. Especially since the tiny hens still have a lot of value. I think I am going to hold out for someone selling a small group and give them a happy home. You know sometimes you see a flock of mixed bantams that may be mutts but are really pretty and they go cheap because people are looking for pure breeds or laying hens. Another trick is to put a young Barred Rock rooster with them and you get nice little Barred Rock hens.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Going forward plans.

Post by kenya » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Well its sad to say but my chickens that are not show birds have a lot more outdoor access as I don't worry so much if a predator gets them.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Going forward plans.

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Gasp! Kenya what a horrible chicken parent you are!!! Lol. My main problem is that I don't have a dog and I am surrounded by forest. Since I will be moving eventually, it wouldn't be fair to a dog to get one at this moment.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Going forward plans.

Post by Happy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:46 pm

I have farm fields on 3 sides and ravine, woods, river and lake and nothing else for miles behind me. I've had 2 successful coyote attacks mid-day. Once in December and once in August. They tried again last spring but only got a mouth full of feathers. I have witnessed them casing the yard and they have no fear. Theres other wildlife around but not a lot since the coyote/coydog population boomed so they are my main concern and I guess that's why I feel that my banties are much safer. They blend in better and they are really not much bigger than a Robin and they don't seem to get hunted. Those big fat Cochins that get into a speed wobble when they try to run are just tempting fate lol. I sometimes wonder if the roosters are what make predators aware of a free meal. I didn't have any issues with predators before I brought that little rooster home who crows non-stop.

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”