Mr Roper?

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Mr Roper?

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:58 pm

The last couple of weeks I have been getting eggs from my little bantams, they kept laying them on the wall plate and cracking them but now I finally got some. What to do with them.... what to do. I was thinking of taking out the incubator and hatching a few but I don't think it's going to work. I just realised that I never never ever see the rooster breeding. I always find when this happens, it usually turns out that I am right because most roosters spend the day trying to breed something and to never see that means he is never breeding, even when I am not around. I called him Clinton, the older hen is Hilary and the younger hen Monica; however now I'm thinking of calling him Mr Roper from Three's Company because if you remember he never kept Mrs Roper happy, if you know what I mean!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Mr Roper?

Post by WLLady » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Lol. Why dont you crack one open and see if its fertilized?
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Mr Roper?

Post by ross » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:59 pm

Do yu know why hens let the rooster breed um at 1st light ?
They hope they will leave um alone the rest of the day . Lol
What Kathy says .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Mr Roper?

Post by Jaye » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:00 pm

... but then you'd have to change Hilary's name to Mrs. Roper and Monica's name to Chrissy. I guess that's not a big deal unless they actually respond to their current names. ;-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Mr Roper?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:48 am

I agree, crack a bunch and check, then make yourself a lovely omelet :) If the hens like him, they can store sperm and fertilize eggs for more than a month, so he doesn't need to be really active to get the job done. As long as he's not shooting blanks...That can happen as they get older, and some slowdown in the frequency of mating is normal as well. Some just don't get much groove on until weather warms up, but if he's NEVER servicing the hens, there's something wrong.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Mr Roper?

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:45 am

On the other hand, if the hens like him and are ready, the job is done in a blink of an eye, so Yes I vote with the omelet crowd! ;)

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Mr Roper?

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:34 pm

So I broke two open and they both have the white spot surrounded by a white ring, fertile correct?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Mr Roper?

Post by WLLady » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:03 pm

Yep!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”