Fluffy butt chickens and fertility

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:33 am

So I have read that I may need to trim or pluck some butt feathers from my Cochins in order to ensure fertile eggs. Liza laid her first 2 eggs this week and neither is fertile. I know the rooster isn't shooting blanks because everyone else's eggs are turning up fertile suddenly. So I just went to pluck a few feathers out and with the first feather a big chunk of flesh came out. I so wasn't expecting that!!!! It didn't bleed much at all but now I'm gun shy. I've read that trimming the girls feathers can be a problem for the rooster (stubble hurts lol)
To anyone that has had to do this any suggestions?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:33 pm

If you pluck, the feathers will grow back eventually, if you trim, they will grow back at next molt, this might be of interest if you plan on showing.
I have trimmed my Wyandotte hens in the past, their fuzzy butts much like Cochins, since there is basically only down under the went I found the remnants are still a soft cushion, so no problem with sharp ends.
Frankly I am not completely convinced it made any difference on the Wyandottes, but might improve the chances on the Cochins.
Some people do a pretty involved spa treatment on their birds, much easier on the little guys and gals. ;)

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks OC. I won't be showing...I'm too paranoid of bringing some disease home and hate quarantine time! Think I will go try trimming and see what I end up with. I can't stomach ripping more flesh out. Geez I felt bad for the poor girl. I read on a Cochin site that fluff above vent on hens and below vent on rooster should be plucked or trimmed close so will give it a shot.

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”