PAINT ~ Silkie breeding?

Valoradia
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: PAINT ~ Silkie breeding?

Post by Valoradia » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:31 pm

:iheartpto: ummm
kenya wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:43 am
No, you need a paint to get a paint. Preferably paint rooster over black hen. Using the black will increase the size of the black spots I put my paint rooster over my black hen and got solid black or paint offspring, more paint offspring than black and the offspring do have bigger spots than their sire.
Ummm NO!!! Paints do not occur naturally in silkies. So if you need a paint to make paint then they would never have been created you do not have to have a paint in order to breed for paints!!!!

Mfrase27
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Mfrase27 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:05 pm

I just realized I have a painted silkie hen! LOL. She was supposed to be white but ended up with some black spots. I thought that made her worth “less” because she wasn’t truly white. I didn’t look into breeding at all when I bought them, I just wanted a few silkies for my daughters and hoped one would sit on eggs for us. After seeing those pics, I’m thinking I may want to cross her with a black rooster! Especially if the marking will get bigger and darker ❤️. Beautiful birds! And thanks for the info 👍

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:05 am

Valoradia wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:31 pm
:iheartpto: ummm
kenya wrote:
No, you need a paint to get a paint. Preferably paint rooster over black hen. Using the black will increase the size of the black spots I put my paint rooster over my black hen and got solid black or paint offspring, more paint offspring than black and the offspring do have bigger spots than their sire.
Ummm NO!!! Paints do not occur naturally in silkies. So if you need a paint to make paint then they would never have been created you do not have to have a paint in order to breed for paints!!!!
Last edited by kenya on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:43 pm

Mfrase27 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:05 pm
I just realized I have a painted silkie hen! LOL. She was supposed to be white but ended up with some black spots. I thought that made her worth “less” because she wasn’t truly white. I didn’t look into breeding at all when I bought them, I just wanted a few silkies for my daughters and hoped one would sit on eggs for us. After seeing those pics, I’m thinking I may want to cross her with a black rooster! Especially if the marking will get bigger and darker ❤️. Beautiful birds! And thanks for the info 👍
Congratulations on getting a paint silkie, lucky you. Have fun getting some beautiful babies.

Valoradia
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Valoradia » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:31 pm

kenya wrote:
That’s not true at all. How were paints ever created if you need a paint to get paint? Lol. Judy Lee creates paints in the US. And she there were NO paints to start with!!!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:46 pm

i am going to step in here and ask for this discussion to stay civil going forward please. i have seen similar discussions get out of hand quickly. thank you.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:59 pm

How od to get on a forum, only to contribute an argument.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:22 pm

Yes I'm done with this and will delete my post.

Sarah.m
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Sarah.m » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:50 pm

Hi everyone I just stumbled across this forum
As I’m trying to buy some paint silkies
But I’m nit having much luck they seem to be
Very scares
Just seeing if any one has any for sale
I’m in Queensland

🐣🐣🐣

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”