Planning and Dreaming....

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:43 am

Well poor Richard shouldn't keep falling for those cute piggies. There's a reason we don't have any LOL!
I have no idea how our neighbour is doing with his cows because he sure doesn't feed them much. The hay he does feed is crap.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:47 am

Oh and re the BSWs mothering skills, they do way better the second year. I lost a whole clutch my first year because I didn't realise a first year bird might not know what to do. Felt bad about that because I thought she was teaching them. This year they were confined to the paddock and did OK OMG 30 something babies - yikes!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:03 am

Vian suggests moving the piggies to the house so that they are warmer and won't eat so much.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:16 am

JimW wrote:QR_BBPOST My new projects for 2017..... there always has to be new projects....lol

1. get some jumbo Quail again to raise and breed. Al if you have any this Spring I will be in the market. I will also hopefully replace a few of my fancy quail, snowflakes and Californias that were killed by the weasel.

2. Black East Indie Ducks - I ordered 4 ducks for fun, only ever had ducks once, in university my roommate and I kept a couple Pekin ducks and then ate them. Not sure if I will keep the ducks long term. I blame Sandy for the ducks

3. Turkeys - I currently have my BSWs, but looking to add a few more turkeys in 2017. One of the projects I wanted to start last year, but did not work out, so hopefully this year will be better. I will hopefully get some Chocolate turkey hatching eggs from Silkie Sue, plus I have ordered some hatching eggs from BC for May shipping, so hopefully this year I can raise up a few chocolate turkeys so I can breed some in 2018. Along with the chocolates I want to raise a few Spanish Black turkeys to try and produce sex-linked turkeys in 2018. I also ordered a few Sweetgrass turkey hatching eggs along with the chocolate eggs.

4. Meat Chickens - I plan to raise some meat birds this year, I ordered a few last year, but changed my mind and sold them the next day. I will raise any extra Bielefelder and Malines roosters I produce for meat, but will order a few as well. I am hoping to try the Mistral Gris chickens from True North Farms.

Well those are my plans, not sure why I wrote this, partly because not tired, nothing on TV and don't feel like marking school assignments. lol But I guess I can read the post later in the year and see if I actually accomplished anything I planned to do.

I plan a bunch of garden plans this year as well, but that is another day and another post. I am in the planning process right now of redesigning the hoop house breeding pens I built last year, too short (about 4 feet tall) so not a fan of them.

Well good night/morning...

Anyone else have any specific breeding plans or goals for 2017 ?
Sooo Jim,
Spring is almost here, how close are you to realizing your January plans?

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:51 am

Haha OC

A few things are actually on track.

Quail I just picked up a few chicks this week. I am in the process of fixing a few holes in my quail shed that the weasel got in. I will look to get some hatching eggs end of April. I am on list for California quail eggs once the lady has some.

Ducks ..... I ordered my 4 black east indies ducks I pick them up on May 13th!!

Turkeys..... The Beltsvilles are starting to lay regularly I will be collecting hatching eggs soon. I picked up a 2016 black turkey hen and a pair of slates. I will incubate some of their eggs and keep a few black hens for breeding next year for my sex-linked turkey project. I have chocolate turkey hatching eggs being shipped Monday April 3rd plus I am on list to get chocolate turkey eggs or poults fr 2 other breeders. So next year I hope to produce chocolate turkeys and black x chocolate which will be sex-linked.

Meat Birds. ... I decided not to order any meat birds I expect to have numerous Bielefelder and Malines surplus roosters so I plan to use those as my meat birds. Also thinking I will process some turkeys small, they will be a bit bony and not fully filled out but I expect surplus turkeys and don't want to raise a lot until fall or Christmas.

So there we have it. I am actually kind of on plan with a few things. Though lots of time still to get off track.

JW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:25 pm

Impressive, didn't think you would be that close, but it's early days yet ;)
I think it's a good move not to bother with the meat birds, if you are hatching the surplus roosters are better tasting birds anyway.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:43 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST Impressive, didn't think you would be that close, but it's early days yet ;)
I think it's a good move not to bother with the meat birds, if you are hatching the surplus roosters are better tasting birds anyway.
Ya I did a small hatch of bielefelders from some eggs I got from someone and already have 4 surplus male chicks, if things go even close to expected I figure I will have lots of surplus roosters.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry

JP*
On the Roost

Re: Planning and Dreaming....

Post by JP* » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:12 pm

How are the Quail doing?

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:44 pm

JP* wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:12 pm
How are the Quail doing?
My quail are not doing much, lost most to predators, only have 5 right now. Building a new roof on my quail shed this week. I have ordered 100 Jumbo coturnix and blue egg laying coturnix hatching eggs to arrive mid-May. So I will be focusing on hatching and raising them. Also waiting to get my permit to Keep Game Birds in Captivity then I will probably get a few Northern Bobwhites.

JimW
Black & Blue Poultry

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Let me know how you do with the Jumbos. If you have a few spare I may be interested in them.

Regarding the Northern Bobwhite, I would really like to see a conservation effort to get the wild population established again. Much like what they have done for the Wild Turkey. Wouldn't that be a fun hunt?

- JP*

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”