Planning and Dreaming....

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Re: Planning and Dreaming....

Post by JimW » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:27 pm

JP* wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:08 pm
Let me know how you do with the Jumbos. If you have a few spare I may be interested in them.

Regarding the Northern Bobwhite, I would really like to see a conservation effort to get the wild population established again. Much like what they have done for the Wild Turkey. Wouldn't that be a fun hunt?

- JP*
I will keep you in mind if I end up with any extra jumbos.

It would be cool if they could get the wild numbers up, I believe they have tried various efforts in the past with no long term successes. I think Walpole Island in SW Ontario is the only wild population left in Ontario.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:16 am

I read a magazine article once about a wild population in Prescott/Russell.

Thanks for keeping me in mind! :)

Chicky Lady
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Chicky Lady » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:57 am

JimW wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:51 am
Well it is that time of year for looking back on last year and planning and dreaming for this coming breeding/hatching and buying season. Though I know some breed and hatch all year long.

The beginning of last year health issues got in the way, so I got a late start to everything poultry breeding plans, gardening... etc.... so did not accomplish much of what I planned or dreamed I wanted to do. Hoping 2017 is a much better year!!!

This melting snow and forecast above zero temperatures has spring on my brain, even though I know winter has barely started.

I am sticking with working with and attempting to breed, in small numbers, 7 breeds of chickens this year... BC Marans, Cream Legbars, Bielefelders, Cuckoo Malines, Mottled Houdans, Ayam cemani and Svart hona. I also have my Beltsville Small White Turkeys for breeding.

Not getting any new chicken breeds to raise for future breeding, I repeat NO new chicken breeds!!!

I have ordered a few chickens from Performance Poultry to raise a few extra hens for egging eggs (Exchequer and Rose Comb Brown Leghorns and Whiting True Blues).

I also ordered a few more Mottled Houdan chicks, as I only have a trio of 2016 birds and want to add a few more. If everything goes as planned I am picking up a few 2015 and 2016 birds next weekend (Malines, Bielefelders and Cream Legbars) to eventually add to my current stock. Which will give me Bielefelders and Cream Leagbars from 3 different breeders to use for my breeding.

My new projects for 2017..... there always has to be new projects....lol

1. get some jumbo Quail again to raise and breed. Al if you have any this Spring I will be in the market. I will also hopefully replace a few of my fancy quail, snowflakes and Californias that were killed by the weasel.

2. Black East Indie Ducks - I ordered 4 ducks for fun, only ever had ducks once, in university my roommate and I kept a couple Pekin ducks and then ate them. Not sure if I will keep the ducks long term. I blame Sandy for the ducks

3. Turkeys - I currently have my BSWs, but looking to add a few more turkeys in 2017. One of the projects I wanted to start last year, but did not work out, so hopefully this year will be better. I will hopefully get some Chocolate turkey hatching eggs from Silkie Sue, plus I have ordered some hatching eggs from BC for May shipping, so hopefully this year I can raise up a few chocolate turkeys so I can breed some in 2018. Along with the chocolates I want to raise a few Spanish Black turkeys to try and produce sex-linked turkeys in 2018. I also ordered a few Sweetgrass turkey hatching eggs along with the chocolate eggs.

4. Meat Chickens - I plan to raise some meat birds this year, I ordered a few last year, but changed my mind and sold them the next day. I will raise any extra Bielefelder and Malines roosters I produce for meat, but will order a few as well. I am hoping to try the Mistral Gris chickens from True North Farms.

Well those are my plans, not sure why I wrote this, partly because not tired, nothing on TV and don't feel like marking school assignments. lol But I guess I can read the post later in the year and see if I actually accomplished anything I planned to do.

I plan a bunch of garden plans this year as well, but that is another day and another post. I am in the planning process right now of redesigning the hoop house breeding pens I built last year, too short (about 4 feet tall) so not a fan of them.

Well good night/morning...

Anyone else have any specific breeding plans or goals for 2017?

JimW
Hi Jim,
I noticed this post from you in January. I'm new to chickens and have had difficulty finding some of the breeds I'm looking for. I've noticed that BC has a good variety of breeds but was concerned about shipping eggs that distance (ontario). I just wanted to ask a seasoned chicken keeper how well eggs have kept in transit and if you've had any difficulties. Also, any recommended hatcheries?
Thanks!
Ashley

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:19 am

Hi Chicky Lady.

I am not really that experienced but I have ordered shipped eggs numerous times over the last couple years from BC, Alberta and the East Coast. I have had mixed results, if a get a 50% hath rate from shipped eggs I am very happy, I have had from 0 to 90% hatch rates with shipped eggs. Lots of variables with shipped eggs that can affet hath rates.... health of the breeder birds, the breed themselves, egg collection and storage methods, age of eggs, handling during shipping and incubation conditions.

My suggestion would be if you would be very upset if you got a low or zero hatch rate, then I would not consider ordering shipped eggs unless at home you have say 80% or more hatch rates. I have had some very bad hatch rates from shipped eggs this year due to humidity and other incubation issues on my end.

Have you posted the breeds you are looking for? You might find some closer than BC. Let me know what breeds and I will see if I know anyone with them.

Jim
Chicky Lady wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:57 am
JimW wrote:
Well it is that time of year for looking back on last year and planning and dreaming for this coming breeding/hatching and buying season. Though I know some breed and hatch all year long.

The beginning of last year health issues got in the way, so I got a late start to everything poultry breeding plans, gardening... etc.... so did not accomplish much of what I planned or dreamed I wanted to do. Hoping 2017 is a much better year!!!

This melting snow and forecast above zero temperatures has spring on my brain, even though I know winter has barely started.

I am sticking with working with and attempting to breed, in small numbers, 7 breeds of chickens this year... BC Marans, Cream Legbars, Bielefelders, Cuckoo Malines, Mottled Houdans, Ayam cemani and Svart hona. I also have my Beltsville Small White Turkeys for breeding.

Not getting any new chicken breeds to raise for future breeding, I repeat NO new chicken breeds!!!

I have ordered a few chickens from Performance Poultry to raise a few extra hens for egging eggs (Exchequer and Rose Comb Brown Leghorns and Whiting True Blues).

I also ordered a few more Mottled Houdan chicks, as I only have a trio of 2016 birds and want to add a few more. If everything goes as planned I am picking up a few 2015 and 2016 birds next weekend (Malines, Bielefelders and Cream Legbars) to eventually add to my current stock. Which will give me Bielefelders and Cream Leagbars from 3 different breeders to use for my breeding.

1. get some jumbo Quail again to raise and breed. Al if you have any this Spring I will be in the market. I will also hopefully replace a few of my fancy quail, snowflakes and Californias that were killed by the weasel.

2. Black East Indie Ducks - I ordered 4 ducks for fun, only ever had ducks once, in university my roommate and I kept a couple Pekin ducks and then ate them. Not sure if I will keep the ducks long term. I blame Sandy for the ducks

3. Turkeys - I currently have my BSWs, but looking to add a few more turkeys in 2017. One of the projects I wanted to start last year, but did not work out, so hopefully this year will be better. I will hopefully get some Chocolate turkey hatching eggs from Silkie Sue, plus I have ordered some hatching eggs from BC for May shipping, so hopefully this year I can raise up a few chocolate turkeys so I can breed some in 2018. Along with the chocolates I want to raise a few Spanish Black turkeys to try and produce sex-linked turkeys in 2018. I also ordered a few Sweetgrass turkey hatching eggs along with the chocolate eggs.

4. Meat Chickens - I plan to raise some meat birds this year, I ordered a few last year, but changed my mind and sold them the next day. I will raise any extra Bielefelder and Malines roosters I produce for meat, but will order a few as well. I am hoping to try the Mistral Gris chickens from True North Farms.

Well those are my plans, not sure why I wrote this, partly because not tired, nothing on TV and don't feel like marking school assignments. lol But I guess I can read the post later in the year and see if I actually accomplished anything I planned to do.

I plan a bunch of garden plans this year as well, but that is another day and another post. I am in the planning process right now of redesigning the hoop house breeding pens I built last year, too short (about 4 feet tall) so not a fan of them.

Well good night/morning...

Anyone else have any specific breeding plans or goals for 2017?

JimW
Hi Jim,
I noticed this post from you in January. I'm new to chickens and have had difficulty finding some of the breeds I'm looking for. I've noticed that BC has a good variety of breeds but was concerned about shipping eggs that distance (ontario). I just wanted to ask a seasoned chicken keeper how well eggs have kept in transit and if you've had any difficulties. Also, any recommended hatcheries?
Thanks!
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 pm

JimW wrote:

I also ordered a few more Mottled Houdan chicks

1. get some jumbo Quail again to raise and breed. I will also hopefully replace a few of my fancy quail, snowflakes and Californias that were killed by the weasel.

2. Black East Indie Ducks - I ordered 4 ducks for fun.

3. Turkeys - I currently have my BSW. I will hopefully get some Chocolate turkey hatching eggs from Silkie Sue, plus I have ordered some hatching eggs from BC for May shipping, so hopefully this year I can raise up a few chocolate turkeys so I can breed some in 2018. Along with the chocolates I want to raise a few Spanish Black turkeys to try and produce sex-linked turkeys in 2018. I also ordered a few Sweetgrass turkey hatching eggs along with the chocolate eggs.

JimW
Okay as I sit here watching tv, thought I would revisit my post from 6 months ago....

The plan to stick with 7 chicken breeds not too bad, I recently sold my Mottled Houdans so dropped that breed for now, but have a few Araucanas now, so still 7 chicken breeds, just more of them...BC Marans, Cream Legbars, Bielefelders, Cuckoo Malines, Araucana, Ayam cemani and Svart hona.

I had terrible luck with my Bielefelders and Malines only have a few birds of each in the works of getting more.

BC Marans my group did well this year expanding for next year, adding more birds from 2 different breeders with nice dark eggs.

Cream Legbars doing great, great lays of nice blue eggs. I am raising for birds that are suppose to be Jill Reese line so next year I will have 2 breeding groups of legbars.

Svart hona, I only have a quad and they did not lay very well this year. My friend has some as well and his laid awesome, so I am getting 10 birds from him to add to my group.

Svart hona are doing well, I just picked up some new birds from a different US bloodline and hope to add birds from European and Indo bloodlines next year.

Araucana I just have a few young birds, focusing on tuftless and rumpless birds.

My Beltsville Small White Turkeys laid like crazy, I have sold all my original birds, except for 2 hens and I am restarting my flock with 20 new birds of both bloodlines I picked up recently from Cirrus Hill.

Exchequer and Rose Comb Brown Leghorns, Whiting True Blues and Mottled Houdans I ordered from Performance Poultry I sold all of them.

My new projects for 2017 were to be...

1. get some jumbo Quail again - I have 18 jumbo quail I hatched from eggs from Perry in Alberta, hopefully they start laying soon.

2. Black East Indie Ducks - I have 4 ducklings and a 1 year old pair I bought.

3. Turkeys - I have 1 Chocolate turkey from eggs from BC and getting some poults from Silkie Sue soon, can't wait. Also picking up a couple more Spanish black turkeys from Quebec soon.

4. Meat Chickens - I ended up just getting 25 White Rocks from Mill Pond Hatchery, they are doing great.

My breeding for the year is pretty much done, I hatched about 200 chicks and sold about 500 hatching eggs. I may hatch a few more Cream Legbar but that is about it, until quail start laying. Now just growing up next years breeders and making plans for 2018.

JimW
Black & Blue Poultry

JimW
Head Chicken

Re: Planning and Dreaming.... 2018

Post by JimW » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:50 pm

Well in between the rain I inventoried my birds this weekend and started to make some plans for 2018....

After I cull a few roosters this week my bird tally for the winter is...

42 chickens: BC marans, Cream Legbars, Cuckoo Malines, Araucanas, and Ayam cemani

These will be my breeds for 2018, I am still picking up 3 more Cuckoo Malines and 9 more Ayam cemani in the next couple weeks. Plus looking at adding Partridge Chanteclers and Black and/or blue Shamo chickens.

Sold I my Svart hona, except 1 extra rooster I will process for eating.

25 turkeys: Beltsville Small White, Blue Slate, Black, Tri-colour and chocolate. I still need to cull 5 or 6 Beltsvilles, plus an picking up a Chocolate jake and a couple more balcks still this fall.

3 Black East Indie ducks, I need more of these in 2018, plus some black runner ducks

16 Jumbo quail from Perry S - will breed to increase my numbers in 2018

7 guinea fowl - whites and lavenders.

Will see how 2018 pans out.

JimW
Black & Blue Poultry

Nick
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Nick » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:42 am

I know this is an old post but I was curious about the whiting true blue. What were they like and why did you sell them off?

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”