Information Buckeye 2017 season has begun.

la-chicken
On the Roost

Buckeye 2017 season has begun.

Post by la-chicken » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:05 am

With the year of the Rooster now upon us....so is the new hatching season.
It has begun!
My test hatch showed excellent fertility!
I hope to hatch until March or April.

Eggs have gone out to Canmore School for their large poultry project. So I am mentoring these young people as these birds grow.
They were so excited when these guys hatched. So much, that they made the front page and the CBC Radio.

Looking forward to my continued work with the school and the sound of chicks in these dark winter days!
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:41 pm

Oh you tease you!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:52 pm

Thats AWESOME Crystal! the best of luck to you in the 2017 season!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Anais
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Anais » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi la-chicken! I would love to get some Buckeye chicks for this season, and to possibly try breeding Buckeyes in the future...I have searched long and hard and this is the breed i'm most interested in. Can you help me? :) I don't have an incubator but am thinking of buying one, since it seems the only way for me to start somewhere is by purchasing eggs to hatch! Unless you know of someone near me (in Quebec, or somewhere near south-eastern Ontario)? Anyways, any help or suggestions would be welcomed!

Anaïs

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:43 am

DC Heritage poultry is located in Quebec near Ontario border. They have buckeye chicks or eggs available. Not sure of the quality though.

http://www.dcheritagepoultry.com/dual-p ... ckens.html

Anais
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Anais » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:47 pm

LongCrow wrote:QR_BBPOST DC Heritage poultry is located in Quebec near Ontario border. They have buckeye chicks or eggs available. Not sure of the quality though.

http://www.dcheritagepoultry.com/dual-p ... ckens.html
I saw their website and even contacted the owner but while researching to find reviews or comments about this place, I found out that they used to run a puppy mill and actually got over 400 dogs seized by Humane Society Internationnal. There's no way I am getting chickens from there! Thanks for the suggestion though!

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Oh well,
If second chances and forgiveness are not in your vocabulary, so be it, pay them welfare from your pockets.
A lot of what was printed was exaggerated by activists I suspect as that is what happens too much these days.
Everyone has a right to try to survive.

As for me I have ordered some eggs from a different breed and I'm not ashamed to admit it and I have no connection to them in any other way.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:11 pm

I have met the folks at DC, and I am friends with others who speak highly of them. Yes they had a "dog breeding" business, but their side of the story is worth hearing before judging them.

i don't hesitate from buying birds from them. Unfortunately all birds are kept in large pen/cages so the birds don't look their best in pictures. They are very serious about hygiene and disease prevention.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Anais
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Anais » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:06 pm

LongCrow wrote:QR_BBPOST Oh well,
If second chances and forgiveness are not in your vocabulary, so be it, pay them welfare from your pockets.
A lot of what was printed was exaggerated by activists I suspect as that is what happens too much these days.
Everyone has a right to try to survive.

As for me I have ordered some eggs from a different breed and I'm not ashamed to admit it and I have no connection to them in any other way.
It's not a question of second chance and forgiveness for me, I am looking to buy chickens or eggs from a reputable source, and in my books, someone who was involved in a buisness where over 400 dogs were seized by the humane society, is not. The laws are so not strict in Quebec in terms of animal welfare that if they actually got their dogs seized, it must of been somehow bad. I also don't believe that anyone can possibly breed 80 different breeds of dogs and do a good job at it, unless they got all their breeders tested for genetic disorders, but I really doubt it! And... I guess I have my personnal opinion about people who contribute to the problem of dog overpopulation in shelters...
Yes everyone has a right to try to make money, but, at the risk of sounding like an activist, not at the expense of animal's well being! Maybe the owner didn't mean bad, I don't know them, i'm just never going to buy from them! Personnal choice!

Anais
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Anais » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:10 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST I have met the folks at DC, and I am friends with others who speak highly of them. Yes they had a "dog breeding" business, but their side of the story is worth hearing before judging them.

i don't hesitate from buying birds from them. Unfortunately all birds are kept in large pen/cages so the birds don't look their best in pictures. They are very serious about hygiene and disease prevention.
Could be, it's true that it's always good to hear all sides of a story, and like I said, they might be good people who just had way too many dogs to care for them properly...I am a really open minded person, but I just personnaly prefer to buy from someone else.

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”