Silver Laced Cochin

heyden
Newly Hatched Chick

Silver Laced Cochin

Post by heyden » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:55 pm

I picked up some standard sized silver laced cochin's, they're still young, I been trying to find more as mine all came from a pair. If no luck which do you think would work best for getting some new blood, Option 1 Use my standard sized black cochin's, Would Black rooster over laced hens would give me sexlink's? laced rooster over black hens would be a be easier as I have more black hens than laced ones. Option 2 I have 3 silver laced wyandotte hens use silver laced cochin rooster on them all offspring should be laced this way?

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Silver Laced Cochin

Post by Happy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:17 pm

I don't have an answer for you but would LOVE to see pics of them! Would be interested in some chicks in spring possibly!

coonhound
On the Roost

Silver Laced Cochin

Post by coonhound » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:31 pm

i would use the silver wyandotte hens on the rooster than putting the best pullets back on to there father
Last edited by coonhound on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Silver Laced Cochin

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:09 pm

I think the owner of the previous incarnation of this board, Erin, might have had silver laced Cochin's...? I know she had mottled and several other unusual varieties. I personally wouldn't use blacks unless you have no other choice, as you will then be forever trying to get good lacing back. I would do as Coonhound suggests, selecting heavily for comb type, and leg feathering along the way.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Silver Laced Cochin

Post by thegawd » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:42 pm

Im fairly certain Erin had Bantams, she had some really pretty calico ones she was working on. I cant remember what else she had though. Erin is awesome. wish she was still around on here, I like to think shes on here incognito.

Sorry I have no advice for ya but the best of luck! and of course PICS! :-)
Al

Home Grown Poultry

heyden
Newly Hatched Chick

Silver Laced Cochin

Post by heyden » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Am likely going to do what Coonhound suggested. Since I don't have a good enough wyandotte rooster anyways. hopefully theres two roosters and I can have a pure bred group and a cochin over wyandotte hens group.

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”