"Chicken on the brain"

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: "Chicken on the brain"

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon May 07, 2018 12:35 am

@baronrenfrew , resistance is futile! You should definitely dust off the incubator ;)
@TomK , if it was the white(ish) pair of geese, it's just as well you didn't buy them. Build your goose quarters and I'll send a friendly pair your way that are twice as nice :)

enableenableenableenable

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon May 07, 2018 6:32 am

@windwalkingwolf :-) yes it is futile. the house was smelling like a barn with the basement full of chicks and we were both getting sick (i do have allergies, but not that bad.) It was frickin cold through April and I couldn't risk a power outage or dead bulb if they were out in the coop. the bator's in my office (most stable temps in the house) and the dust off that is unreal. now it sprimmer (between spring and summer) i can set it up in the basement. i'll do a batch later in the summer - rir bantams and buckeyes (or none at all until next year). my RIR bantam roo had a rough winter and lost a few toes. (save the scolding, I feel guilty enough as it is). he's doing the job, so i'll decide later to hatch or not. I really have to fix up the barn. its a mess and not secure. plus my business, the farm, and my family (parents are old, father in law in hospital - his days are numbered) consume my time. plus I really want a trio of mutant ringneck pheasants so I need space available if I stumble across some.

plus Carla wants guinea fowl, so if I hatch eggs I'll do some eggs with them.

or looking at getting French guinea keets from pintabo.

thats my plan.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon May 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Jan...yeah, I know little about geese....i just saw them and it stirred a desire to get some in me...slow and steady..a future thing :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:54 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:06 am
Grrrrr, I finally figured out how to use the quotes button and this "not that smart phone" keeps messing it up!
Cool there's a quote button 😎
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:09 pm

Edit Delete Report Quote buttons. I think the winter is a good time for planning. The only thing that stops me from buying more is the poop, cost of building another coop, and the possibility they will not get along. Other than that all I do is open and close the coop. Make sure there is water. Feed about once every 2 months. Not much work considering how interesting they are. I'm still figuring out how to talk to them but they get their point across usually... Eg. "Where are the sunflower seeds." I understand right away 🤣
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”