Question Barred gene question

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Barred gene question

Post by Happy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:00 am

I think I have the genetics of this figured out now but looking for confirmation from the experts on here!
I have a barred rooster who is the product of a solid blue rooster and a barred hen. I'm assuming that makes him a single barred rooster? And he will throw approx. 1/2 barred (single barred regardless of sex) and 1/2 solid if mated with solid coloured hens?
FullSizeRender-480x839.jpg
IMG_1755-175x130.JPG
IMG_1755-175x130.JPG (11.28 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
I have blue and black Cochin's he will be mating...is it possible to get a splash from this combination?

Thanks for any info!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Barred gene question

Post by WLLady » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:49 am

You got it!!!!
He will only carry copy of barring so have his kids will be barred and 1/2 will not when bred iwh an unbarred hen.
If bred to barred hen though you will get a mix of double barred and single barred kids.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy

Barred gene question

Post by Happy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks @WLLady! One more question. Can any of his solid coloured chicks carry the barring gene to pass to their off-spring? Or is it a rule that if they have a barring gene they are barred...if they don't they are solid. When it gets into all of this dominant and recessive stuff I get lost big-time lol.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Barred gene question

Post by WLLady » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:11 am

Nope. Barring is dominant so if they are solid they do not have any copies of the gene.

Dominant means that trait will cover other traits. So ina dominant white bird even if they have a copy of a red gene (for example) the bird will still be white because it covers-or is dominant over-the red. Recessive means that is needs two gene copies to be able to break through and be seen. Incomplete penetrance is in the middle...it doesnt get totally covered but doesnt come through strongly...things like red leakage on a blue bird is incomplete penetrance of the red gene through the blue. So you get a blue bird with reddish on the feathers.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy

Barred gene question

Post by Happy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:28 am

Thanks again! Now I just need to wait :( the girls aren't even close to laying yet! Gonna be a long winter lol

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Barred gene question

Post by kenya » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:31 pm

Nice looking rooster, I always liked the cockoo colouring.

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Barred gene question

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:10 pm

I ran into this last year. I used a single copy barred rooster over black Orpington hen hoping to get some barred girls, and got 4 black and 3 barred chicks...turned out, all the blacks were female and all the barred were male and I thought I had hit on some screwy backwards sex-linking thing! But nope, just luck of the draw. I didn't get any cuckoo hens only because that's what I was after LOL The offspring are odd in other ways too...the cockerels looked more like their half Rock half Cochin father, in shape and with some leg feathering, and the pullets look pure black Orpington. Apparently this is also backwards as girls tend to inherit type from sire and boys from dam. Leg feathering was apparently not passed on to the daughters, because I've hatched a bunch of their eggs this year and there's not even stubs on their legs. Weird.

Happy

Barred gene question

Post by Happy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:08 pm

Thank you @kenya!

@windwalkingwolf if you are still after some fluffy legged bars maybe I can get you some next year. Of course now that I've said that I will have your backwards luck lol. I almost got rid of this guy in favour of his blue brother because I read that barred roosters only produce barred chicks. But his personality is just so awesome he had to stay. Then I joined here and read an old thread about this single barring...soooooo glad I kept him. Truthfully I love the idea of getting barred, black and blue chicks. It's like tipping a box of smarties and seeing what colours you got!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Barred gene question

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:54 pm

He really is very handsome, you can just tell he is a very nice fellow.

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Barred gene question

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 am

Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST Thank you @kenya!

@windwalkingwolf if you are still after some fluffy legged bars maybe I can get you some next year. Of course now that I've said that I will have your backwards luck lol. I almost got rid of this guy in favour of his blue brother because I read that barred roosters only produce barred chicks. But his personality is just so awesome he had to stay. Then I joined here and read an old thread about this single barring...soooooo glad I kept him. Truthfully I love the idea of getting barred, black and blue chicks. It's like tipping a box of smarties and seeing what colours you got!
I'm debating trying again with one of Boris's (R.I.P.) sons, but we'll see...the "box of Smarties" analogy is a very apt one, and I'm already shaking a few boxes to see what falls out :D SO much fun, but there's only so much I can eat LOL...but I'm glad to know where I can potentially get some Reese's Pieces for a new flavour!

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”