Question Barred gene question

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Barred gene question

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:29 am

Oh dear, another project for Jan LOL. Look what you've done now!
He is lovely though.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Barred gene question

Post by WLLady » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:22 am

Projects are good arent they?
Gotta watch those smartie boxes though-sometimes more projects fall out of them!!!

You can tell his is single barred by how dark he is. (He is gorgeous and does look very relaxed and friendly) double batred birds are quite a bit lighter-greyer. So if you breed to a single barred hen you should be ale to tell the double barred boys because they will be lighter.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Barred gene question

Post by Happy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:02 am

Thank-you. My hope is to hatch and keep a couple of barred girls next year and breed back to dad. I've always been so scared to hatch too many chicks as I was afraid I wouldn't get rid of them and my coop is only so big. But I see lots of activity on here and learned about more poultry sales than I've ever dreamt of so congratulations to you all for feeding my obsession - I hope you're proud of yourselves!!! Lol

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Barred gene question

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:13 am

I'm just here pressing the like button because you people said Cochin and because you said barred, two of my favorite chicken words, lol!

Happy

Barred gene question

Post by Happy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:15 am

Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST I'm just here pressing the like button because you people said Cochin and because you said barred, two of my favorite chicken words, lol!
Well that's awesome @Skinny rooster because I've been reading on here that you are in dire need of birds! Another buyer!!!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Barred gene question

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:19 am

Lol, you learn fast!

Happy

Re: Barred gene question

Post by Happy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:46 am

One last question on this subject. If a single barred rooster mates a solid black (mixed) hen will the chicks be sex linked? So all barred chicks are female?

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:35 pm

No, unfortunately. You can get both black and barred in both sexes, and also, some of the black girls will carry the barred gene and pass it on.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:03 pm

So the single barred male is genotype Bb. The non barred (solid) hen is not barred (b-). that gives offspring Bb, bb, B- and b-. the B- and b- are females are are barred and unbarred respectively. The Bb and bb are males, and the Bb is barred (single) and the bb are unbarred.
so no sexlinking.

for the sexlinking you need the solid male (bb) and the barred female (B-). all the offspring are Bb or b-. the b- are females and unbarred. all the males are single barred (Bb). so the males will be lighter in colour than the females, and the males will have a dot on their head (because the barring gene does that to the chick down colour).
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:23 pm

What WLLady said! I actually tried what you are proposing, hoping to be able to tell boys and girls apart. No joy! And, I was also able to determine that the black hen I used was hiding a copy of barred, because one of the sons of that pair ended up double barred (two copies).
Also, if you use a single barred rooster over black hens, any black chicks that carry the barring gene, can grow up to have splotchy legs and strange eye colours, because the barring gene present in a black chicken tends to do strange things to melanin expression. If you're wanting to breed the varieties to SOP, this can be a severe setback.

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”