Barred Americanas?

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Barred Americanas?

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:47 am

Ok WL interesting, thank you. Now regarding the little roosters I had when I used to breed sex-links, I used to take them to an auction but I would always clearly mark them as roosters, placing five or six in a box. I used to get around $9 to $17 in the spring. Some people preferred to raise them for meat instead of the white birds. I heard some people may buy them to resell as unsexed at a higher price but that would be short sighted, they would get a bad name for themselves. I quit however because people wanted pure breeds.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Barred Americanas?

Post by WLLady » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:16 pm

Personally i grow out and freezer camp my extras as much as possible. I do find with 4 or 5 projects i have more than enough lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Barred Americanas?

Post by Shnookie » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:59 am

My barred chick is getting lighter feathers all over, like someone took a paint brush to him. The barring is getting messy. Possibly because the EOs have multi-colored barring. If you want to get black and white, I would say use a barred rock or something that already has clean two-color barring. I have a male Ameraucana EO cross that is all black, and has no visible barring (he does have a bit of white feathering above his eyes but otherwise all black), so he would have 1 copy of the barring gene, right?

WLLady

Barred Americanas?

Post by WLLady » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:11 am

Even with 1 copy of barred the boy should show barring-mostly visible in the chest and hackle and tail tips....depending on the masking by melanizers of course. I should take some photos of my welbar projects, it's really easy to tell 1 copy from 2 on them....the 2 copy birds are much much lighter, while the 1 copy have richer darker colours but are still barred.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Barred Americanas?

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:35 pm

Just wondering but twice now I saw boxes with "show quality" Ameraucanas written on it and the birds had feathers on their feet and legs. Is there a variety that has feathering on their legs? I thought they were only clean legged?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Barred Americanas?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:04 pm

No, there isn't. They must be clean-legged, someone has either been duped, or is attempting to dupe.

WLLady

Barred Americanas?

Post by WLLady » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:11 pm

Yep ameraucanas are not feather legged. Period....lol

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”