Barred Americanas?

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Barred Americanas?

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:44 pm

Is there such a bird as Barred Americanas? As in pure Americana? I tried Google but I keep getting "crossed with Rocks" Just wondering because then if you bred that to a red Americana, you would get sex-link babies.... yes/no???

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Barred Americanas?

Post by WLLady » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:47 pm

Barred amerauacanas are not a recognized breed....and would be called barred easter eggers. Sure you could probably make some....i have never seen any though personally
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Barred Americanas?

Post by Shnookie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:57 pm

I made one this year. I crossed my black Ameraucana rooster with an EO hen. The barred chick is grey and black with a muff and beard and has a small pea type comb. He is only 8 weeks old and is getting a few lighter colored feathers mixed in with the barring.

Maximus

Barred Americanas?

Post by Maximus » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:28 am

Must be nice looking Shnookie. Would love to see a picture.
I had a barred rock crossed with an Easter egger this is what I got. (I know it's not an Ameraucana). She is one of the group that got sold to a new home.
image.jpeg

WLLady

Barred Americanas?

Post by WLLady » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:16 am

I have had several pullets barred from a bsrred rock over ees but never tried to breed them to breeding true...i like the barred rock crosses they are hardy and good foragers. Just like the rocks. :-)
Another project idea lol? All you would really need is to start with a black ameraucana and introduce the barring gene....?? (Just...) lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Barred Americanas?

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:33 am

Lol, that's why I was wondering if it already exists, I don't want to have to create the breed and then start doing sex links. I guess I could use a black Americana on barred hens and sell the daughters. Any way that is just an idea for way in the future, maybe.

WLLady

Barred Americanas?

Post by WLLady » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:15 pm

if you use a black ameraucana girl, covered by a barred rock boy, then take the kids (all the girls will be barred, and all the boys will carry 1 copy of the barring gene and all will be split for pea/straight comb) and breed boys to girls (i would suggest using 2 boys over several girls so you have good genetic pool at the beginning) ....then from the kids (so grandkids of the black ameraucana girl and barred rock boy) keep the lightest barred boys (they will be double barred) and any barred girls and select hard for comb-you want the grandkids to have PEA combs, not split combs, and keep everyone that looks hopeful HATCH LOTS-like 100 or so-select muffs, beard, pea comb, blue eggs (girls), slate legs....wait till the girls lay and cull out any green layers, hopefully you will get a least one girl that lays blue and has a pea comb. Breed each of the hopeful boys to a white leghorn, and keep all the female kids-marked or tracked for which dad they came from, and select the male that has pullets that give blue eggs. Take those now identified boys and breed back to the barred pea combed girls that you identified with laying blue, pea comb, and barring, and the next generation you should get some double barred blue egg pea combed boys, and barred blue egg laying pea combed girls.
it'll take you at least 3-4 generations-if everything goes right in the beginning!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Barred Americanas?

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:26 pm

Some of my chicks from Kyle have muffs from mum and feathery legs from daddy light brahma. Awfully pretty. There you go another project.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady

Barred Americanas?

Post by WLLady » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:58 pm

You know if surgery goes well i might take up some of these projects lol. I swear i have boys that would be a good start for new delaware blood....

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Barred Americanas?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:10 pm

If anybody wants to breed barred chanteclers, I have a nice foundation rooster! Nice cushion comb, good yellow legs...

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”