Names of colours in poultry, huuuuuh?

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:50 pm

Oh! Oh! Oh! I got one. Why are the names of colours different for different breeds in some cases. Example, light Sussex, light Brahma, is the same as Columbian rock, Columbian Wyandott. Dark Brahma is like penciled Wyandott and Delaware but different in others. Speckled, spangled and sometimes even mottled look similar depending on the breed. Even buff Brahma is not the same as buff anything else but is the same as Columbian buff. Barred is sometimes cuckoo. Is there a reason for this or is it a case of being called "what ever" at the time?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:10 pm

Hahahah I like my chosen breed, the Rhode Island Red, nice and simple. ;-) and the best breed on the planet I might add.

:coolguy:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:47 pm

Yep, the breeds were "established" or organized at different times and admitted to the standard by different groups of people. No doubt there were "experts" and "breeders" who wanted their birds to be recognized as different coming from different source breeds or places.

I still remember being 11 years old and visiting family in Germany (bored because I didn't speak the language) and spending a full day translating the results from a poultry show (it was a magazine) and it had 22 distinct classes of a single breed (or was at all similiar colour breeds judged together for colour?) with a mix of colours and comb styles. It was a magazine and had thousands of entries. It was listed like a phone book (no pictures). Rubhuhnfarbig = partridge coloured chicken
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:08 pm

I really liked my APA standard for the description of comb types. pencilling, etc. Helped a lot.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:36 pm

Lol thegawd, but there is also Rhode island White which have a rose comb and if Rhode island reds are orange then they are called New Hampshires lol, I am being difficult.

precisionplymouthrocks
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by precisionplymouthrocks » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST Oh! Oh! Oh! I got one. Why are the names of colours different for different breeds in some cases. Example, light Sussex, light Brahma, is the same as Columbian rock, Columbian Wyandott. Dark Brahma is like penciled Wyandott and Delaware but different in others. Speckled, spangled and sometimes even mottled look similar depending on the breed. Even buff Brahma is not the same as buff anything else but is the same as Columbian buff. Barred is sometimes cuckoo. Is there a reason for this or is it a case of being called "what ever" at the time?
Though light sussex and light brahma look similar they are very different colours, the columbian colour is the same as light brahmas though. Just thought I should point this out. The columbian colour has striping in the Sickles of the males and a slate under colour. Just to add more confusion.
Specializing in all LF SOP varieties of Plymouth Rock
http://www.precisionplymouthrocks.com/

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”