Who do I breed to whom?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Who do I breed to whom?

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:06 pm

BobG wrote:Breed to both sets of hens or single mate to your best female of each group .
HA, see, never crossed my mind, talk about kennel blindness. Thanks :coolguy:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Re: Who do I breed to whom?

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:07 am

OK, Honeymoon is over, walked in on a serious disagreement, grabbed the first one I could reach, turned out to be "Hamish" the Blue Wyandotte, he whined all the way thru being checked over and banded, then stuck him in a brooder, luckily ready for just that situation, and he didn't want to get out of my arms???? a real wimp I think, just like his daddy.
He weighs a ton, of course the scale was nowhere convenient so don't know how much, but definitely heavy boy.
Now he is just by the barn door at eye level, so every time I come in, he welcomes me enthusiastically with offerings of wood shavings and stuff! ;)

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Who do I breed to whom?

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:10 pm

I can't believe it's 3,5 month since I have asked this question.
You all came up with at least four really intriguing possibilities, wish I could test them all, for now here is the first one
MacTavish, the somewhat Blue Columbian Cockerel over Columbian hens and one somewhat Blue Columbian pullet, his hatch mate.
Hope to set eggs May 1st and then we can start the guessing game again. ;)
Wy's 2016 breeding pen Mactawish.jpg

la-chicken
On the Roost

Who do I breed to whom?

Post by la-chicken » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:37 am

My question: What are you wanting from your select breedings ?
Is it more blue in the flock? Or testing the Blue quality in the flock?
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Who do I breed to whom?

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:51 am

Oy,wish you hadn't asked that? :)
The original goal was to invigorate the Columbian Wyandottes my first love, who I managed to breed in to the ground because of some early (before PSO & PTO) wrong decisions selecting for color instead of TYPE!!
No new blood available from outside.
Then had an opportunity to acquire some Blue Wyandottes so outcrossing to variety without going outside the breed >>seemed like a good idea at the time<<< MacTavish is a F2....
....and I don't know that I will be able to give up the Blues?????? Does that answer your question?

la-chicken
On the Roost

Who do I breed to whom?

Post by la-chicken » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:05 am

Too Funny!
So this is a new rooster. And you are unsure as to what he really throws?
Sounds like you are possibly rebuilding the flock from the ground up. And going down the blue road.

Personally, I would do two select breedings- 1) with the Blue P just to see if pattern and colour holds up. And if the blue stays where you want it.
2) with your 2 best females for type and pattern.......and hope for a great new Rooster for next year. Then you will at least be working on type as well. Changing colours are easy. Keep an eye open for the gold leakage..........

Just my thoughts!
Keep us posted!
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Who do I breed to whom?

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:06 am

I can only do two breedings a year, and I think I tortured everybody long enough, so this year it's MacTavish over Columbians, and Hamish over Blue hens... first time in 3 years I have a Blue male, so still hoping to maybe, perhaps get a Black one.
Of course this is assuming the fertility will be there......so many unknowns and so little time and space. ;)

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Who do I breed to whom?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:15 am

What you need, OC, short of a bigger barnyard and chicken condos, is a partner in crime! Somebody who loves standard Wyandottes as much as you do, or at least a good breeder up for a new project. Someone close by. You could then split your flocks and trade birds back and forth as needed. Preferably someone with scads of money so they could import some new blood as necessary, maybe even some (solid) blacks :)

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Who do I breed to whom?

Post by Robbie » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:02 am

WWW are you volunteering?? ;-)
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Who do I breed to whom?

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:37 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST What you need, OC, short of a bigger barnyard and chicken condos, is a partner in crime! Somebody who loves standard Wyandottes as much as you do, or at least a good breeder up for a new project. Someone close by. You could then split your flocks and trade birds back and forth as needed. Preferably someone with scads of money so they could import some new blood as necessary, maybe even some (solid) blacks :)
:rofl:
Finally a solution, why didn't I think of that????
What Robbie said!!!!!!! or do you have somebody else in mind???
On second thought what are the chances there is another person as dedicated or crazy? in the neighborhood ?
And because of bio security I couldn't bring any birds back, so would have to get hatching eggs and that sort of brings me back to where I started from? Thank you for the morning chuckle Jan.
:bat:

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”