Bantam Breeding Project: Mottled and Cuckoo and Partridge, Oh My!!

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Easy colours like black or white........... :rofl:

LOL just teasin' ya Baron. I'm learning there are no easy colours! Unless you start with someone else's perfect birds! And even then........
:sFun_mornincoffee:

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:09 pm

Ha! Ha! I enjoy all the pretty colours but it would be easy to get sidetracked and start another line !!!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:50 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST
windwalkingwolf wrote:[post]23610[ OC, this means that your outcross experiments of last year are not a wash! You can cross your mossy blue columbiam girl with a good black rooster and get good blue :D !
You optimist you, "good black rooster" ? still waiting for "precissionplymouth"..." to come up with some more of those Black chicks.
I must say I am really partial to those gold birds of yours with the punk hair!!! :love smiley:
I have to admit, when PPR posted about the standard blacks, I had an image of you as Princess Leia flash through my mind, saying, "Help me, Obi Wan, you're my only hope!" Because just one good bird would be all it would take to get the blue wy's (even miss mossy!) to the next level, it's just to get your hands on that one. Hope springs eternal :)
roflmbo yes Jan, I also often see myself as princess Leila or at least somebody from another planet, frankly anybody telling me a story of a person in search of "just the right chicken" for years and years would bring on thoughts of another planet or men in white coats almost immediately ;)

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:39 am

CULL HARD is great advice, but seldom put into practice. We wouldn't have many of today's breeds and breed colours (and sizes) if we all culled TOO hard ;) Mind you, we also wouldn't all be either wishing for bigger coops and more breeding pens, or trying to figure out how to downsize, if we could all CULL HARD, either.
The gold/buff/red pullet with black spangles is staying. *Sigh*. She has the yellow legs, the crest, the extra toe I want, so I'm going to see what she throws next year should she live so long. Plus, she's just COOL looking. *sigh*.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:35 am

WWW you are right! What cull hard REALLY means, is take that weird or off coloured looking one and start a new project!
I have to get a photo posted of my strange rooster, very unusual and unexpected from a Buckeye x Cornish cross, I'd like to hear what people think happened. Of course he should have been culled, buuuuuutt......... so cooooooooollllllllll........
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”