If you could only keep one breed of poultry....

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:58 am

If I had the right facilities I would keep only silkies. I love them! Adore them actually. They just aren't practical for free ranging and the coop set ups I have and they are hard to deal with in the winter. If I had a big barn or something they could wander around in on rainy days and snowy winter months I'd be all over the silkie breed.

But, seeing as that isn't an option right now, I would keep Easter Eggers. I think.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:58 am

This is the time of year I am going thru the flock deciding who to keep, who to sell and who is going to camp Kenmore.
Seriously considered giving up on Ameraucanas, since I don't seem to be able to bring in or raise a rely good quality Rooster to replace my old one.
Now the Wyandottes are molting and slowing down in the laying department, and the Ameraucanas are still laying, well, I remember why I keep them and of course for their funky look. ;)
Feel a bit like I am playing musical chairs.
I should really let go of the Blue Wyandottes, but they have a better type then the Columbians, and I am afraid that will be the end of them in Ontario. Not sure why I should care, but I do.
Boil back down to the main problem, I need to keep too many cockerels thru winter and its a hassle.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:03 pm

Just thinking: i would expect that you'd have to raise 20 or 50 of a breed/bloodline in order to get ten really good "keepers". I think it'd be a gamble to raise less than 20 if your goal is to improve your stock.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:07 pm

I keep 3 dozen hens thru winter, and 3 to 5 cockerels/roosters, and hatch between 40-80 chicks every spring, which would be plenty if I kept one breed.
In theory!!!!
BUT, the "Blue" is really complicating things, because they are basically 3 varieties and should be bred as such, i.e. each variety Blue, Black and Splash separately.
Last year the best Ameraucana cockerel I hatched was Splash, which went to baronrenfrew.
This year the best cockerel is going to be Black, also can't use him.
The Blue cockerel I kept last year wasn't better then his father so was sold.
In an effort to revitalize the Columbian Wyandottes I have indadvertedly created Blue Columbian Wyandottes, so here I am with yet another variety :(
As I am typing this, it is slowly sinking in, my number one problem, I have no way of getting more of these birds, if I could I wouldn't have to carry all these spares.
Last edited by Ontario Chick on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

BIGBANTAM
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by BIGBANTAM » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:15 am

It would be COCHIN< COCHIN< COCHIN, in bantams of course. Blacks and Splash and if all works out Blues!!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:35 am

@BIGBANTAM
Can you post pics of your Cochin? I have some LF but falling in love with all the bantams I see!

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Bantams really are great little birds. I have banty reds and a couple Plymouth barred rocks, all those eggs, my youngest Gage claims them, perfect size. they eat way less food and still are great layers that lat everyday. the eggs are lower in cholesterol so they are better for you. hehe ;-)

but I still say standard bred RIR's are the best!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:17 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST Bantams really are great little birds. I have banty reds and a couple Plymouth barred rocks, all those eggs, my youngest Gage claims them, perfect size. they eat way less food and still are great layers that lat everyday. the eggs are lower in cholesterol so they are better for you. hehe ;-)

but I still say standard bred RIR's are the best!
My little banties are far smarter at free ranging. Not sure if thats the OEGB tho. They are fliers so I don't worry about them much. They also blend in better! After my last mid-day coyote attack I swore I was just going to keep these banties from now on. That idea didn't last long. I love everyone of the breeds I see and want a handful of everything lol.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:45 am

I seem to have a mental block, possibly going back to the seventies when we had banties that required to be shaken out of a giant hemlock every night, and I swore I would never have banties again.
Large dogs and large chickens seem to be the favorite, although at this point in our life probably the small version of both would make more sense, just somehow can't get there from here.
May need help....

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”