Your opinion wanted: white eggs.

Syble
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Re: Your opinion wanted: white eggs.

Post by Syble » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:20 am

i grew a couple white leghorn pullets this past spring just to add a couple white into the mix, have to represent them all after all!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:57 pm

I had a post on PSO about leghorns etc getting a bad wrap because of white eggs. There is no problem with white eggs. Myself personally I don't raise white egg layers because my costumers want brown eggs, same with people who want chicks, they always stress that they want brown or green egg layers, so I couldn't sell the chicks either. It's partly to do with this latest back to nature stuff, they see white as manufactured eggs, I guess they think from some genetically modified Frankenchicken or robot chicken. Brown eggs are what grandma used to use to bake her apple pie with. Leghorns are crazy efficient and often start laying at four months, a little nervous but I had them and really liked them.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:25 am

My brother will not eat coloured eggs says he just can't.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Post by Robbie » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:28 am

That's funny, I'd eat them no problem but I like my eggs white or brown only, myself! I guess the coloured eggs would look cool in a mix, but they do look strange if there's only one coloured egg in a box of white or brown.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:11 am

They are a beautiful looking chicken PA Jenn

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:50 am

Funny, I thought it didn't make any difference to me, after all we all know color of the shell makes no difference to what is on the inside, but we have had our own chickens and our own eggs for such a long time, now that I think of it, I do associate white shelled eggs with "store bought" although brown shelled eggs have been available in store for a good log time.
Turnes out I am prejudiced without even realizing it. ;)

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:33 am

I like white eggs. I want as many colors and shades of colors in my egg basket as possible.

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:41 pm

That's why I have the Brabanters for white eggs, Rumpless Araucana for blue eggs and EO's for brown eggs. I like white in the mix LOL

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:53 pm

I think you need the white to show off the other colours better but I originally got my exchequer leghorns to appease my brothers dislike of the coloured eggs. They are one of my favorites now, course I like black and white chickens.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:15 pm

Flat Rock Farm wrote:That's why I have the Brabanters for white eggs, Rumpless Araucana for blue eggs and EO's for brown eggs. I like white in the mix LOL
Great [egg colour] mix! LOVE Brabanters! Maybe next year if my dreams come true and we can move to a place with a little more acreage ...
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”