Dubbing: anybody do it?

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat May 21, 2016 7:41 am

Dubbing: i know its standard procedure for Old English Game and modern games, but given our love of single combed birds, more of us should dub our roosters (the poor buggers freeze bad in my damp bank barn.

Anybody?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sat May 21, 2016 8:57 am

I was going to dub for freeze protection as well, we have an old bank barn too and had some issues with the high humidity and cold last winter. We'll see if I end up with any single combed roosters that I'll be keeping. If so I'll probably risk the local anesthetic, and have my vet do it since he's here anyway twice a year for the dogs. Although it's probably pretty easy to remove the tips of the comb when they are young, and I don't think the wattles have cartilage in them the way the comb does (or there's a lot less of it) - those could be numbed with an ice cube and trimmed with very sharp scissors. There are videos on youtube..........
Eventually I won't have any single combed chickens, I plan on only keeping pea combed chickens. Problem solved!
:sFun_mornincoffee:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat May 21, 2016 10:30 am

Guess yu could . I raise white Chanteclers perfect for Canadian climate white eggs , good meat . I consider dual purpose & the monks done the work . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat May 21, 2016 10:43 am

I got Partridge Chanteclers coming in The near future.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

rebellofts
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by rebellofts » Sat May 21, 2016 9:48 pm

I have dubbed several hundred OE over the years with out any problems good sharp scissors, dip their heads in cold water to rince them off and they are fine
Show Rollers,Flying Rollers,Show Type Homers,Racing Homers, Show Tipplers,Egyptian Swifts,WOE Tumblers,Indian Fantails
OE Games,Rosecombs,Wyandottes
Goldens Red,Cinnamnon,Silver,Yellow,Ringnecks,Silvers
Breeder Exhibitor Judge
Jeff Draper Jasper Ont

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun May 22, 2016 2:11 am

I've seen people do it, chickens don't seem to mind and they don't give any numbing agent. The roosters are running around fine afterwards.

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”