Buckeye Crosses

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Buckeye Crosses

Post by Robbie » Thu May 19, 2016 10:51 pm

Here are my Buckeye cross chicks. Dads were all Buckeyes, moms were either Buckeyes, Dark Cornish or True North production red or red sex link crosses. The are two weeks old.
Buckeyes, Dark Cornish and Production Red crosses:
Buckeye cornish cross.jpg
Buckeye red sex link crosses and production red crosses: Looks like they will be like the Isa browns, with dominant white replacing black:
buckeye sex link.jpg
Here's one of the Buckeye/Dark Cornish cross chicks. I'm very impressed with them so far, large, very calm chicks. Supposedly will be red with single lacing of some sort.

Buckeye cornish cross (2).jpg
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Buckeye Crosses

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu May 19, 2016 11:06 pm

Love the wings on the cornish crosses :)

Robbie
Head Chicken

Buckeye Crosses

Post by Robbie » Thu May 19, 2016 11:37 pm

They all look like little Buckeyes, except they have darker chipmunk stripes in the chick down. Buckeyes have the same colour wings, they are mottled until they get their adult feathers.

Flat Rock Farm

Buckeye Crosses

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Fri May 20, 2016 6:37 am

Very cute!!! :congrats: on an awesome hatch!! :chicken-hatching:

Seastar
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Buckeye Crosses

Post by Seastar » Fri May 20, 2016 7:43 am

Nice looking chicks.excuse my ignorance, but are these crosses recognized as anything other than a barnyard "mutt"? I have one Easter Egger that would be a cross, but not a breed if I'm Understanding this. Thanks in advance.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Buckeye Crosses

Post by Robbie » Fri May 20, 2016 7:51 am

Seastar wrote:QR_BBPOST Nice looking chicks.excuse my ignorance, but are these crosses recognized as anything other than a barnyard "mutt"? I have one Easter Egger that would be a cross, but not a breed if I'm Understanding this. Thanks in advance.
That's right, mutts. On their way to a new breed though! I do have some purebred Buckeyes in there too.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Buckeye Crosses

Post by thegawd » Fri May 20, 2016 8:55 am

Right on Robbie! Congrats on a bunch of nice looking chicks!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Buckeye Crosses

Post by WLLady » Fri May 20, 2016 3:49 pm

robbie, i wouldn't be surprised if your buckeye x cornish comes in patterned/laced...cornish carry Pg/Pg....curious to see how they feather out-if they pull the mahogany from the buckeye or the brown from the cornish, or both....bet they'll be nice nice looking birds in either case!
Cornish are e+/e+ hence the dark eye stripe and major stripes on them as chicks. eWh tends to try to cover e+ so it mutes a lot of the lines on the chicks, but the "eye line" tends to stick around in the e+/eWh, just not as dark and solid as in an e+/e+ because the eWh tends to dilute it. (Buckeye should be eWh/eWh like yours)
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Robbie
Head Chicken

Buckeye Crosses

Post by Robbie » Fri May 20, 2016 5:53 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST robbie, i wouldn't be surprised if your buckeye x cornish comes in patterned/laced...cornish carry Pg/Pg....curious to see how they feather out-if they pull the mahogany from the buckeye or the brown from the cornish, or both....bet they'll be nice nice looking birds in either case!
Cornish are e+/e+ hence the dark eye stripe and major stripes on them as chicks. eWh tends to try to cover e+ so it mutes a lot of the lines on the chicks, but the "eye line" tends to stick around in the e+/eWh, just not as dark and solid as in an e+/e+ because the eWh tends to dilute it. (Buckeye should be eWh/eWh like yours)
Thanks WLLady!I kind of like the eye liner myself! I think there's eb floating around in the /American hatchery cornish genome too, I'll have a real E locus mess! And then, when I cross them to the Barred Hollands............ ha haa! I think the F2 three way cross will look like a Frey's new hampshire/barred cross, black with lots of leaky red. I've tried to mess around with the breeding, but I always seem to end up with black birds...... not really what I want. Black is nice but not very good for dressing out, so I'm wondering if I should throw some dominant white in the mix. Not keen on that either, I'm not a fan of white laced red, or leaky red on white birds........... what I'd really like is buff or buff with black like the Brahmas, or buff spangled black like a Hamburg. But I'm not really sure how to get there with the crosses I want to make. Any ideas? Ultimate goal is the dual purpose pea combed white eggshell chicken. I am trying very hard not to add leghorn.
In theory the F1 Buckeye/Cornish is supposed to be red with single lacing. The lacing will probably be extremely messy and look more like smut :-/
Lots of people have done this cross, but there seems to be NO photo record of what the chicks or cross looks like! Go figure! But certainly they will be nice and meaty. And I guess nobody eats the feathers!

Robbie
Head Chicken

Buckeye Crosses

Post by Robbie » Fri May 20, 2016 6:27 pm

I just had a thought- those Buckeye cornish crosses are going to look like badly bred, badly coloured Partridge chanteclers! Maybe.

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”