Muuust hatch eggs.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Muuust hatch eggs.

Post by Killerbunny » Wed May 25, 2016 4:45 pm

Looking at my records I wasn't getting good hatches until June last year though (cept for Jans eggs LOL!) After June I got 100%. Stephen, my turkey tom has been 100% right off he bat.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Muuust hatch eggs.

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu May 26, 2016 10:28 am

Unfortunately his laid back attitude is inconveniencing 7 hens, who have no access to outside until he is done whatever he isn't doing, and he has exactly 6 days to produce or he is out of there and ""Mactawish the Columbian rules!!!! ;)

Chasinthedream
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Muuust hatch eggs.

Post by Chasinthedream » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:49 am

Best of luck!
I was with a friend at auction who purchased 3 dozen Araucana "hatching eggs" Turned out he should have fried them. Not one was fertile.
At least you know the breeder and you can trust them.
Black Australorp, Standard White Cornish, Belted Galloway, Maple Syrup

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Muuust hatch eggs.

Post by kenya » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:33 pm

OC I feel your pain , my ameraucana's are giving me problems, I sold off my youngsters as people were really wanting to buy them, now the ones I have left are not giving me squat. Too old I guess, I'm just hoping to hatch enough chicks to replace my older birds. Serves me right for letting them go. But h*#"#

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Muuust hatch eggs.

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:55 pm

Kenya I feel your pain :) the worst part for me, when I went back to people I sold birds to (wyandottes) hoping to buy progeny of my birds, nobody actually had any.
Fondly remember the days when I thought; well you just buy the best birds you can find and you are set to go.....
seriously never expected that it's a constant struggle to stay on top of : Type, Fertility, Color, Temperament, Genetic drift, did I mention Type? and of course the one you didn't think you needed and you wish you kept?
Good to know I have good company ;)
ps, sorry forgot predators

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Muuust hatch eggs.

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:01 am

Lost one of the Jersey Giant eggs, got wind of the fact that the embryo died, yuck (get it, got wind of it), sorry my bad sense of humor. One of the gold laced Wyandott chicks is starting to hatch now.

As for my $3 laying eggs, I had a bad feeling about those, even one of the eggs was cracked, some of the eggs looked like they had been in water; however as of tonight, 11 eggs have 11 embryos in them so worried for nothing, should have bought two dozen lol.

kenya
Henny Penny

Muuust hatch eggs.

Post by kenya » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:20 am

Good show, you can never tell, hope they all hatch! Better to get wind of it than have it explode on you!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Muuust hatch eggs.

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:17 am

Ok so we're done, actually they hatched last week and Sunday is the one week old mark. I got 4 of 4 for the golden laced Wyandotts; however two of the Jersey Giants did not hatch but the big disappointment was the barred rocks, four of the eggs didn't hatch and actually two of the four died after starting to hatch. That's the worst, they make it to the very end and die, not like if they died a few days after setting. Next is how many are roosters, lol.

kenya
Henny Penny

Muuust hatch eggs.

Post by kenya » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:33 am

So how many hatched altogether?

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Muuust hatch eggs.

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:06 am

Sorry Kenya, I was up late and lazy with the math. Total hatch was 25 chicks out of 36 eggs. Four Wyandotts, eight Barred Rocks and thirteen Jersey Giants. Nearly a full dozen gone, that's why I don't spend a lot on hatching eggs. However I will tell you that I got them all for$13 so can't really complain lol, couldn't do it that cheap myself.

Any one know if black Jersey Giants start out blue? These little guys are the same colour as my blue Cochin chicks, I saw the parents and they were definitely black but I'm wondering if they had blue in them or is blue chicks normal?

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”