STRIPPER ~ Silkie ~ SHOWGIRL Breeding question???

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Sun May 15, 2016 8:46 am

OK so now that I'm "Starting to Crow" I have a breeding question - LOL :iheartpto:
I just Adore SHOWGIRLS!!!!
There are SG with "Bowties" which is the feathers that stick out near the base of the neck.
( imagine a Beard but much lower )

Then there are STRIPPERS which have NO Bowtie, the neck is completely BARE!
I do NOT have any STRIPPERS....& I want one ( actually want a dozen - LOL )

I understand the concept of breeding SHOWGIRL x SILKIE = SG with better POOF on head,
BUT how to I get a STRIPPER?

SHOWGIRL x SHOWGIRL = ???? STRIPPER MAYBE????

I have my avatar "Millie" SG ( veri small & feeble Head POOF )
Also have "BLACKULA" a handsome SHOWGIRL rooster.
I'm guessing IF I cross these two, I Might get a few STRIPPERS?
I'm also guessing since Millie has a Small POOF, the offspring might as well?
( I've asked a few different people, but NO firm answer )
Will the offspring be BARE in Other spots as well?
I don't want any "FRANKEN SGs"

Best Answer by Fairsing farm » Sun May 15, 2016 9:42 am
I'm sure you have seen this chart but thought I would post it for anyone interested in breeding naked neck silkies

GO TO FULL POST ➙
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sun May 15, 2016 9:10 am

The naked neck gene Na is dominant. It can be bred into any breed of chicken. Showgirls are silkies with the naked neck gene. A bird pure for the naked neck gene, Na/Na ( Stripper in the silkie world) has no bow tie or a very poorly developed one. A heterozygous naked neck, impure for the gene or Na/na+, which you could get by crossing a pure Na/Na showgirl to a regular silkie, will have a better developed bowtie. Because the naked neck gene reduces the number of feathers, the impure "stripper" will also be fluffier than the pure Na/Na bird and that's probably why the impure birds are wanted.
Both have reduced hatchability, especially the pure Na/Na, possibly because fewer down feathers make it difficult for the chick to turn properly in the egg (in theory) so it's not your fault if some eggs make it to the end of incubation, but don't hatch.
If you cross two impure showgirl silkies with bowties, which are Na/na+, the offspring will give you (in theory, on average) 25% pure naked necks (strippers) without bowties Na/Na, 50% impure with the bowtie Na/na+ and 25% regular silkies without the naked neck gene na+/na+.
If you cross two strippers, which are Na/Na, you will get all strippers.
If you cross a showgirl with a stripper, you'll get 50% showgirls and 50% strippers.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Fairsing farm
On the Roost

Post by Fairsing farm » Sun May 15, 2016 9:12 am

Hey Yvette! I have a few no bow tie white showgirls with big poofs if you are interested. They are quite pretty. If you breed nn to nn you will get some strippers and showgirls with bow ties . However it does make them a bit bare in the vent area if you keep breeding this way generation to generation. So it is best to breed back to a silkie to eliminate this syndrome. I find one generation can tolerate this cross but those offspring should be bred back to a silkie. Just what my experience has been so far. Hope this helps

Frances
Insurance broker/hobby farm enthusiast competes in cariage driving, breeder and exhibitor of silkies and showgirls in buff black cuckoo white, bantam white Cochins in smooth & frizzledd https://www.facebook.com/FairsingFarms/

Fairsing farm
On the Roost

Post by Fairsing farm » Sun May 15, 2016 9:42 am

I'm sure you have seen this chart but thought I would post it for anyone interested in breeding naked neck silkies
Attachments
image.jpeg
Insurance broker/hobby farm enthusiast competes in cariage driving, breeder and exhibitor of silkies and showgirls in buff black cuckoo white, bantam white Cochins in smooth & frizzledd https://www.facebook.com/FairsingFarms/

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Sun May 15, 2016 10:22 am

YES I'm interested France's.
I wrote asking if you had any Strippers awhile ago. I figured I would resend message after you recouperated from Mount Forest & the other shows.
PM me with details
THANX!!!!

Btw Robbie
I didn't realize SG x SG would give ANY silkies!
Wow learn something new every day.
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun May 15, 2016 12:54 pm

Newbie question (don't know much about silkie/showgirl/stripper genetics other than what I've just learned on this thread): Do showgirls and strippers still always have feathered legs?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Fairsing farm
On the Roost

Post by Fairsing farm » Sun May 15, 2016 5:19 pm

Jaye wrote:QR_BBPOST Newbie question (don't know much about silkie/showgirl/stripper genetics other than what I've just learned on this thread): Do showgirls and strippers still always have feathered legs?
Yes they do jay, always feathered legs or at least they should

Fairsing farm
On the Roost

Post by Fairsing farm » Mon May 16, 2016 3:13 am

Hi Yvette here is the non bow tied showgirl I was telling you about
Attachments
image.jpeg

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon May 16, 2016 7:57 am

Al, perhaps we could sticky that chart?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon May 16, 2016 8:03 am

Fairsing farm wrote:QR_BBPOST
Jaye wrote:QR_BBPOST Newbie question (don't know much about silkie/showgirl/stripper genetics other than what I've just learned on this thread): Do showgirls and strippers still always have feathered legs?
Yes they do jay, always feathered legs or at least they should
Thanks, Fairsing farm. The reason I asked is because I have sometimes thought that if I were ever in a position to try breeding a customized chicken for myself, it would be fun to try to breed a Silkie-type chicken that didn't have feathered legs. I find the feathering on my Silkie's legs gets messy and dirty quite often.
Very cute showgirl, BTW. :-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”