Araucana, ameraucana, ee ?

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Sun May 15, 2016 8:05 am

Hi goatgal35,

I'm no expert, but I have EE's & I also had Ameraucanas @ one time.
I heard that ~ Ameraucana x Ameraucana = Ameraucana.
Regardless of the color...BUT if it's
White Ameraucana x Blue Ameraucana it is Still an Ameraucana
but it just can't be sold / shown as a "Pure Color" Ameraucana
( because there could be a recessive color somewhere, which would be terrible to someone trying to breed true )
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun May 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Sorry, misunderstood the question........ :hide:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun May 15, 2016 2:25 pm

Hey folks!

ah, the age old debate. i can only put in my thoughts, the way that *I* see it. And *I* am wrong sometimes, and my opinion is only *MY* opinion, no one HAS to take it. but this is how i see it, and it keeps me from getting too confused.

a TRUE ameraucana breeds TRUE. that is 100% of all the chicks are proper down coloured for their respective e locus (ie wheaten are yellow/white no stripes) and 100% of the offspring look like the parents (with small differences). True ameraucanas are muffed and bearded. NEVER tufted. They are NOT RUMPLESS (these are araucanas BTW). They lay BLUE eggs-only the shades that are accepted by the APA are allowed. And that is BLUE, a pale or vivid sky blue. NOT GREEN. not pink. not red. definitely not brown. not spotted.

There are also only APA recognized colours of ameraucanas. For my simplistic way of thinking, I think that only APA accepted colours are the so called "true ameraucanas". Wheaten. Blue wheaten. Black. Blue. White. (among others-they're all listed on the ameraucana club website that the egg colour sheet was post up above). Interestingly-blue wheaten crossed with blue wheaten will give wheaten (black based), blue wheaten and splash wheaten back. however, splash wheaten is not an APA recognized colour. So for me, a splash wheaten is not a "true ameraucana" because it is not APA recognized. even though both parents might be prize winning true ameraucanas!

However, that splash ameraucana IS an ameraucana. technically. because both parents are true ameraucanas. so. it's kinda like saying well, a green porsch is not a porsch because it's green and not red or black. BUT for the APA showers/judges/breeders type people, if the car buffs say that a green porsch is not "worthy" of being shown then to me it's not a porsch. LOL. but it is.
So, the observant of you out there, will read my signature and see "black gold ameraucanas". LOL that's because i am trying to develop a true breeding black gold blue laying muffed and bearded slate legged bird. but black gold is not an APA recognized breed. BUT there are those of us in North America with the plan of getting the APA to recognize it....so we are calling it "black gold ameraucana" because we want it in that class, not the ee class.
is it technically a "true ameraucana"? Well, the parents were. so yes. but does it breed true? well, maybe next generation, because i'm still working on it.
LOL. clear as mud?

okay, Ameraucanas must fit these criteria: muffed. bearded. slate (or black) legs. blue eggs. certain body type and stance. If it walks the walk and talks the talk of the SOP and breeds 100% of its offspring true to the above, then it is.

if it lays any other colour than blue, or is missing ANY of the traits listed in the SOP it is an easter egger. it doesn't make it less of a bird, or less "worthy" of being a chicken, it just will not be a pure ameraucana. it's too bad that the easter egger is looked on classically as a "lesser" bird....because some of them are fantastic layers, and not to mention wonderful colours.....but there is no SOP for "easter egger". and honestly, it's easier to go by SOP-at least for me-to determine the "name".

and ameraucana (spelled with the au in the middle) is the CORRECT spelling for a PURE ameraucana. americana (with the i in the middle) is a sure thing that that bird is probably an easter egger....as far as i can figure it was an ingenious way for hatcheries to capitalize on the ameraucana name, while technically not being wrong...LOL. whatever. neither here nor there.

i know next to nothing about araucanas except they are like ameraucanas but rumpless and there are tufts involved and potentially a lethal gene that also segregates with either the tufted or rumpless gene....can't remember off the top of my head which.

i know this topic has divided people on other forums...and resulted in massive moderation LOL. i'm really really impressed with everyone here-it can be a touchy subject. especially for some of us hard-a**es like me that have very set views about ee/ameraucana definitions LOL you guys rock!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Sun May 15, 2016 2:30 pm

O_O That chicken has no bum!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun May 15, 2016 2:57 pm

All depends whether your breeding um to show or just fun ie what your agenda is & yu let buyers know the truth . JMO luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun May 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST O_O That chicken has no bum!
LOL, no it doesn't. I have them, they are a lovely breed.

Armourhillfarm
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Armourhillfarm » Sun May 15, 2016 4:21 pm

Again, I am not an expert but my understanding is an easter egger is an Amerauncana X Marans and some people actually talk of Breed backs in easter eggers much like golden doodles.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun May 15, 2016 7:27 pm

an easter egger can be an ameraucana x any other breed of chicken....or an araucana x any other breed of chicken, or a non-brown or non-white layer (any colour but brown and white) x any other chicken LOL. some easter eggers lay purple, rose, red...etc.
x marans=olive egger
x rhode island red = green layer
x barred rock = green layer
x welsummer = darker green layer
x leghorn = blue layer
x lebar = blue layer
x welbar = dark green layer
etc etc.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Sun May 15, 2016 8:00 pm

hee hee hee hee ~ dontcha just LUV when this subject comes up???
It's as varied as "TRUMP versus CLINTON" (*O*) soooooo BADDDDDDD
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Blue Heron Farm
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Blue Heron Farm » Sun May 15, 2016 9:06 pm

Great post WLLady I agree. Well said.
AKA Hackmatack Ridge Farm

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”