Geese advice needed

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Geese advice needed

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun May 29, 2016 4:14 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST They're done laying for the year, unless simulating winter will work. I've never tried it, so couldn't tell you. Once one goes broody, and especially if something hatches, those hormones seemingly affect all the females in a flock and they all quit and moult. I hatched two goslings this year from my Chinese girls, and made the mistake of letting the little guys within earshot of the adults...they promptly stopped laying, and I doubt I'll see another egg this year even though in past years (as long as I took eggs promptly) I could expect eggs through June. Last year I let a Muscovy incubate goose eggs, and the darned gander KNEW those were goose eggs. I don't know how. He checked on the duck and those eggs every day, and once they hatched, he took the goslings from her at beak-point and herded them to the rest of the geese. then BAM, no more eggs, grrr. Once a baby happens, even if it dies, the buggers call it good.
Ok, I apologize. I have to retract my statements. I act like I know everything, but am perfectly willing to admit that that is rarely the case.
A week and a half ago, 2 of the Chinese suddenly started laying again, pretty much all at once, and then the third joined them in laying just as the oldest girl went broody. Now my oldest girl is now attempting her second nest of the year on 8 eggs (first try was a complete bust, and she has never set a second time), while the younger two are tossing her off to lay in the nest. I marked the 8 oldest eggs and I'm having to remove a fresh one every day as the other two girls are still laying so far. Buggers are making a liar out of me LMAO! Just when I thought I had them figured out....
I bought some Embden goslings this spring, excited about a goose that's actually big enough to feed more than two people (Chinese are quite small and mostly feathers for those who don't know). But now I don't know if I'm looking forward to THAT learning curve, since they lay so many fewer eggs than Chinese and aren't known as the greatest broodies, either. As I understand, Embden mating/nesting habits are very similar to Roman and Sebastopol. But I can probably throw all anecdotal lore out the window at this point, and just wing it.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Geese advice needed

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun May 29, 2016 3:11 pm

http://www.ajas.info/upload/pdf/15_187.pdf

http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/y4359e/y4359e08.htm
The second link shows how to get six laying seasons in four years with roman geese.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Epona
Starting to Crow

Geese advice needed

Post by Epona » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:34 pm

I currently have a turkey hen and a Chinese goose sharing the same nest. As the turkey is broody and stays on the nest the overwhelming majority of the time, I haven't broken up the partnership. This will be the second round of eggs for the goose. I have in 4 yrs never had her take a clutch through to a successful hatch. As I only do natural (or in this case, twisty natural), I've my fingers crossed the turkey will hatch both sets of eggs (a few eggs under her are turkey) and some of the early eggs in the nest that the goose laid. Living in a smokey dream over here!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Geese advice needed

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:02 pm

So my one and only gosling has a walking deformity; his feet twist inwards, the right more than the left. Is this hereditary or should he be destined for the oven?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Geese advice needed

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:27 pm

How bad is it? Goslings are somewhat naturally pigeon-toed, even to the point of tripping on their own feet if they try to hurry. They grow out of the natural turn-in. Are his legs bowed or toe-ends twisted? Was he a 'wet' hatch (swollen ankles, liquid in shell, unabsorbed yolk sac, obvious weakness/slow or sleepy)

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Geese advice needed

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:35 pm

He hatched under his momma, and its minor. Only now i notice it.

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”