Please Explain "BLUE / BLACK / SPLASH" I don't get it!!!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:20 pm

You sure its not AQWLLady? Armchair Quarterback West Lorne Lady? (LOL: i couldn't help it. I'm more of an Armchair quarterback, or armchair expert (my list of "How To" books is impressive, one day I'll have to check the book BEFORE i try and do something (instead of after i broke it trying to fix it))

So I bought some eggs from OC (years ago: i am sure she bad a blue roo on blue hens) and I got an even mix of blue, black, and splash chicks. I kept a blue roo on blue hens. I got an even mix of blue, black, and splash chicks. I kept a splash roo (with red on his wings) with a mix of hens; got blue and black and splash chicks. I kept that roo with blue and splash hens (somebody wanted all my black hens: he drove a black car, had a black dog, his wife was a brunette: i guess she didn't want her hair dyed black: but I digress): and got lots of blue and splash chicks and a few black.

I understand that black is not really black but a really dark blue. Aren't some "black" a "green" black from the sheen they throw in the right light?

Or lets spin your head a bit further. I understood that you could "make" a blue by crossing white and black (as in cochins). You could never get back to white but you could have blue black and splash afferwards.
Agree/disagree/comment?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:21 pm

Nah she's the real deal!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:54 pm

Well the only think I am confident that I have learned from all this is what the WL in front of lady stands for :) I have always wondered so yea now I know.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:06 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST And then there's 'self blue' (lavender) which is a whole other ball game...and 'paint' which looks just like Splash to me, but Paint breeders usually insist is different...
I heard that "Paint" is derived from Black & White, which is an entirely different combination than Splash.
I'm guessing "SELF - anything" is that it just happened as a fluke?
NEVER MIND, my brain is already on over load - ha ha ha
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:17 pm

Darn going to have to change my username now-my cover is blown. Yes WLLady is west lorne lady because i needed a name and was so friggin dumb that day i figured it was something i would maybe remember...since i live close to there...sugh.
Nothing you guys wouldnt be able to learn too given the same background as i had...

Checking the book before-nah

But going to chew on barons post over the weekend lol. Love a challenge but not at 10pm.
Night all
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:51 pm

I stil remember fondly when years ago I discovered the "Genetic calculator" and actually inserted some possible crosses I could make and thought it was the greatest fun to see the results one would potentially get?
Before the reality hit, that unless the breeds were genetically put together correctly, without any inhibitors and modifiers and other anomalies it was just a fine theory.
Bit like believing in Santa Claus...........

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:16 pm

I haven't crossed many white Cochins but from the few I have, black with white always gave me black and never blue. Blue with white gave me blue and white with splash always gave me blue but I didn't breed many so maybe results would be different for others.

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:19 pm

I seen it mentioned above about a good black should have a green sheen this is correct. I know in silkie's the Best way to get a green sheen on a Hen is from a roo with a little bit of silver leaking through the hackle feathers and vice versa to get a good roo you need a hen with the silver in the hackle feathers.
Although these birds should not win at shows as they are not pure black in the standards of the past there was mention of this. Some of the older judges will still place a Silkie with silver.
I have a little book on Silkies from the early 80's and it mentions this as well as to ensure that you breed your blacks to blacks and your blues to blues or you will end up with blacks with out the sheen and washed out blues. every 8 years of so you need to do a cross of blue to black to correct the blues back to the darker side and then go on again with only blue to blue.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:00 am

Just to pick up on Doug's post rather then using a "roo with a little bit of silver in the hackle" which is an indication that the birds is Silver based a GOOD thing...... choose his hatch mate who will hopefully also be Silver based without the silver leakage in the hackle, because that is an indication of not enough melanizer NOT Good thing, and will create problems later on.
Boils back down to.... don't breed your silver based birds to your gold based birds, the "trick" is to know which one is which. ;)

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:17 pm

image.jpg
This was my flock, 2nd generation, blue on blue.
The roo had red, I liked the colour of him until I learned the red on the wings was a bad thing.
ignorance was bliss.

Now I gotta decide where to go from here....
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”