Chicks with silver down...genetics question?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Chicks with silver down...genetics question?

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:47 pm

No, these guys are shiny blue silver, like metal, not like recessive white silver...BUT some of the same genetics may apply, as the chicks descended from a genetic soup that included red sex link, leghorn, and columbian patterned birds like light sussex. I used to get lots of the colour pattern you describe, but since I muddied up the "soup" with various incarnations of partridge, they are few and far between, except for a few last year when Chucky (RIR x Polish cross) had access to a columbian patterned hen. Boys were silver white and girls brown.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:04 pm

Interesting.

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:14 pm

What isthis chick.? Looked silver in incubator. But when dried very light grey
1FF4CB47-EC39-4005-B590-6C8BCB257262.jpeg
610237ED-5620-4E04-8FC8-718C58ABB0C2.jpeg

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:32 pm

Www so that metallic silver seems to be related to columbian patterning....i have seen on some reading i have done some silvery metallic and only from columian bearing lines. And i think-just stepping in it-i wonder if theres more than one way to get or force columbian, or theres a modifier that is normally recessive and needs 2 copies to affect Co in this manner so we only see it rarely because of medelian genetics dictating only a quarter of het breedings on Co can be affected-then if that modifier is sex linked it would be half that or 12.5 % and only if both parents carried it.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:19 am

Wondering if this would account for the high number of "white" birds I got from mating chunky and K & B last year, all Blue Columbian? Just thinking I also get poor hatches from them wish I knew what colour the unhatched are.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:20 pm

WLLady wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:32 pm
Www so that metallic silver seems to be related to columbian patterning....i have seen on some reading i have done some silvery metallic and only from columian bearing lines. And i think-just stepping in it-i wonder if theres more than one way to get or force columbian, or theres a modifier that is normally recessive and needs 2 copies to affect Co in this manner so we only see it rarely because of medelian genetics dictating only a quarter of het breedings on Co can be affected-then if that modifier is sex linked it would be half that or 12.5 % and only if both parents carried it.....
:-o
I decided I was going to look this up at 3 in the morning, and ended up on some Kippenjungle pages....and got lost reading about laced, barred and mottled (all of which I have also had pop up out of seemingly nowhere)...saved the page for later reading, or THOUGHT I did, but now can't find it :angry: But, I'm sure there must be some way to "make" Columbian, some sort of recombination that would turn on the appropriate genes, besides a spontaneous mutation. Even if the result looked mossy and incomplete. There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat as it were.
To further the sex-linked line of thought, I'm wondering now if all the silver chicks I've had were all the same gender, and whatever causes them to be silver actually kills off the other gender in the shell, and causes disability/early death in the ones that DO hatch. It would explain why these guys are so few and far between. Arrgh, I'm frustrated now that I can't just go hatch a bunch of these guys and find out. Inquiring minds need to know :roll:

Giffen Farms
Starting to Crow

Post by Giffen Farms » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:20 pm

WLLady wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:12 pm
I would love to see some photos as wings and tail are just starting to grow in too....and of course grown ip photos-or the real thing when we drive by sometime lol
I'll try and take a few pictures tomorrow, granted that I remember 😕
What day is it, Christopher Robin? Its today Pooh, my favorite day!

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:45 am

https://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm
that's the website Jan.....there's multiple pages to it....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:30 pm

Here's some (really bad) pictures of the little guy (pretty sure it's male, but don't hold me to it). I'm going to have to come up with a name for him. I've been calling him Blue, but I already have two chickens called Blue :roll: besides which, he's NOT blue like they are, despite the way the pictures turned out.
So, I'm not sure if it shows in the pics, but he does have white tipped wing primaries like my other black-based chicks, except the white is very yellow coloured...not sure if it's naturally that way, or if it's because he's dirty from me turfing them all outside for a few hours every day for the past three days.
He has no tail feathers in evidence yet (another clue leading me to think it's male), but he's also much smaller and slower to feather than the other chicks. He is three days younger than the youngest, and a week younger than the oldest, but ALL of them are almost completely feathered, whereas Blue just has wing primaries. I noticed he also seems a bit odd shape-wise, all front and no fluffy butt. It looks like he's going to have a rippled/lumpy cushion comb, which isn't particularly unusual in my Easter Eggers.
20180425_222650_resized.jpg
20180425_222722_resized.jpg
20180425_222731_resized.jpg
20180425_222742_resized.jpg
20180425_222805_resized.jpg
20180425_222820_resized.jpg
20180425_222601_resized.jpg
20180425_222614_resized.jpg
20180425_222627_resized.jpg

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:26 am

he is very odd shaped....and i agree likely male.
i wonder actually if he's going to be rumpless....
IF so, then i wonder if we're looking at a gene linked to tufted/rumpless....tufted is lethal in homozygousity, so that might make some good sense as to why these metallic silvery guys usually don't make it. ALTHOUGH nothing on that face suggests to me that tufted is going to be there, BUT that really doesn't mean much....
he's looking ER with those white tips.
i think he'll likely end up a diluted blue....so maybe di is playing a role too, definitely Co in there too-the darker head/neck that ends at the end of the hackles.....and the wing tips being that yellow i think he's likely gold based. usually split gold/silver ends up yellow, not gold with frosted look....interesting....

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”