Re-entroducing Bluie JR

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re-entroducing Bluie JR

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:25 pm

Introduced Bluie to the girls a month ago, but decided to wait another month until he was a bit more mature.
He is 6.5 month old and the girls have been squatting for me, so after tripping over them for a week, decided to try again.
This time the reception was much more favorable, so pretty happy Christmas Day for JR:)
All for me???
All for me???
OK, ready or not here I come.....
OK, ready or not here I come.....
Comparing notes
Comparing notes

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Re-entroducing Bluie JR

Post by kenya » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:40 pm

He's in heaven! Merry Christmas JR

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:25 am

Oooh aaaaaah, handsome bird! I love the blue and splash colour in chickens. My Cochins are mostly those colours, I used to have silkies in blue and splash as well. Some of my EE bantams are blue. I really like your Americanas, they remind me of the ones I had back in the 80's when I was a kid. When I first bought mine, they looked like little owls to me, I had never saw chickens like that before. Your birds have that owl face, not many do anymore so I assume the others have diluted blood. My birds where like the splash colour, but instead of the light blue/grey colour of splash, they were a dusty grey splash, like the colour of dust bunnies. Sometimes a black bird would hatch. If only I could go back in time and tell myself to keep the line going, they would be unrelated to anything these days. I used to get green, blue and even pinkish brown eggs.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:17 pm

I will admit I am just as excited raising them today as the day I got them 5 years ago.
What I find interesting is that the first batch of day olds I got (20) there were couple with no muffs to speak of, and as I tried to breed the best to the best of what I had and struggled with the "Breeding Blues" quagmire, the muffs just got better when I wasn't paying attention. ;)
Lots of damage has been done to the breed by Hatcheries selling birds they called Ameraucanas, (or Americanas) but weren't bred to the Standard and people who purchased them continued to breed and sell them as Ameraucanas. That and the fact it's a relatively new breed, led to an awful lot of birds out there that only vaguely resemble the breed. Which is too bad, they really are a great breed on free range, supper personality, good layers beside being very cute. Can you tell I like them? :love smiley:
Here is the new crop at 5 month...
Ameraucanas 5 month & Bluie JR
Ameraucanas 5 month & Bluie JR

NormaK
On the Roost

Post by NormaK » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:14 pm

They are truly beautiful :heart:
Do the parents lay true blue eggs (not green)?
Norma :iheartpto:

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”