Record Keeping

PAJenn
Newly Hatched Chick

Record Keeping

Post by PAJenn » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:13 pm

Anyone else use spreadsheets to track your flock?

As year-end approaches, I am making sure my spreadsheets are up-to-date. It's sobering to see how much we spend and make in a year on poultry. I attended a Growing Forward workshop years ago. The facilitator suggested that even if your flock is small and considered a "hobby" you should know what it costs you per year to maintain that "hobby".

I have a traceability sheet that tracks each bird by ID, and from who and where it was purchased and when. I record deaths or consumption (into the freezer) on that sheet.

I have monthly sheets for feed, general supplies, meds, eggs collected and egg sales. All those numbers go into a yearly summary sheet. This sheet tells me how much it costs to produce a dozen eggs, and what I should be selling them for (keeping in mind what consumers will pay).

I also have a pest control sheet for observations and actions by date, for the coop and/or any quarantined birds. And, after the Avian Flu quarantine this past Spring, I added a Bio-security sheet to note when I visit other farms or shows, or when someone who has a flock of their own, visits our coop.

I could be REALLY neurotic, but I can't imagine not keeping records now that it's a habit. I feel like I am doing my due diligence, should I ever need it. Plus, I KNOW exactly how much it costs ME to keep chickens!!!
Prosperity Acres | Growing a Good Life
http://www.prosperityacres.ca

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Record Keeping

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:45 pm

I think poultry keepers can be divided in to two camps, one that keeps records and the other that just doesn't want to know.
Keeping in mind that knowledge is power, I have always kept records, although out management style isn't directed by finances, but by providing good care for the birds.
Thru the years we have arrived at some sort of "organic" system, at the year end, the egg sales have paid for the feed and bedding with a surplus that covers the incidentals.
Sale of hatching eggs in the spring, pays for feed for my chicks until the reach laying age or are sold.
Any sort of "capital outlay" building etc. doesn't have to be covered by chickens, because it's an "Real-estate improvement" ;)

PAJenn
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by PAJenn » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:16 pm

Health features in our traceability sheet and pest/control maintenance sheet. I record any issues or special treats or treatments with the bird's individual record. Like a doctor's file. I think it's good to be able to see a hen's health record at a glance.

Arbor
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Arbor » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm in the "don't really want to know" category. I have a general idea, and as long as I sell something during the year, my costs are offset a bit. 1/2 of it is to show my kiddos the miracle of egg to chicken, the other 1/2 is genetic experimentation. I get excited with "what could I possibly get".

PAJenn
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by PAJenn » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:05 pm

Arbor, you and PAJoel (my brother) are kindred spirits. I keep chickens for food security. Can't beat free range eggs. And, if Armageddon ever does descend on us, I know how to process a bird rather than starve. I just like to know how much my healthy free range eggs cost me. Hmmmm... maybe that's the next spreadsheet I should create... a separate one for PAJoel's "poultry projects". At the moment "mine" and "his" are all lumped in together, in the coop, and on paper. On second thought, I'll bet PAJoel has genetics spreadsheets somewhere on his laptop, that I never see.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:13 pm

It's been said "yu can't know where your goin if yu don't know where yu been " That's what record keeping /documentation is all about . Great thing if yu have a special goal in whatever yu endeavor . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

downhomeroots
Newly Hatched Chick

Record Keeping

Post by downhomeroots » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:25 am

I made similar spreadsheets. I fill mine out daily when on the computer. I enter in everything as well. I like to keep organized and have information available to buyers when they are purchasing from me. Also I can never remember things like first egg laid or first crow. The financial part.......well it is what it is! And people use to tell me horse were expensive! My horses are basically free compared to raising and breeding chickens. HA!
BBS Copper Marans, BBS Ameraucana, Salmon Faverolles, Welsummers, Gold Laced Barnvelders, Japanese Buff Black Tail Bantams, Silkies/sizzles/frizzle. Ducks: Cayuga and Khaki Campbell

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Record Keeping

Post by WLLady » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:28 am

guess i'm still old. everything is in a book.....written. by hand.....with pen.....and actually legible somehow.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Record Keeping

Post by Robbie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:01 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST guess i'm still old. everything is in a book.....written. by hand.....with pen.....and actually legible somehow.....
I've never seen a piece of paper shut itself off, erase itself, or self destruct, though!
:sFun_mornincoffee:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:18 pm

Certainly never seen a blue page of death lol. Sometimes the cats steal the pens and scoot them under the fridge/sofa/etc
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Poultry Breeding and Projects”