Ameraucana Fact or Fiction?

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:05 pm

So speaking of Ameraucana ... Is Wheaton an acceptable colour?

Picking up 25ish more chicks in Friday and half are Wheaton. I guess I can google, but you see what I get? Blue inside and out eggs means pure LOL.

I think my library has a standards book.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:10 pm

Yes Wheaten is an Ameraucana SOP colour.
So is blue wheaten.
They should NOT have feathered legs. Legs should be slate, not yellow or green. the chicks for wheatens are yellow-not chipmunks. If someone tries to sell you wheaten ameraucana chicks that look like chipmunks they are on the wrong genetic background. The adults are very hard to tell apart from true wheaten, but the down colour gives it away. They should be yellow or whitish yellow, and may have a small bit of a dorsal stripe (faint) on their backs, but no marked brown and white stripes, and no brown chicks!

there are photos on this site....these are the accepted colours-and there's photos of adults and chicks on this site.
http://www.ameraucana.org/
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:13 pm

He told me they are white and yellow but will change when they grow out their feathers. So that's a good sign right?

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:15 pm

Yes, very good! the boys will grow in with more black on their wings and the girls will have more wheaten (kind of a browny yellow earthy colour) on the wings.

oh, and commonly the chicks will have pinkish legs...that's okay, they'll darken to slate as they get older. The wheatens don't have as many melanizers as other ameraucanas (like black or BBS) so it takes longer for the legs to darken in the chicks of wheatens and blue wheatens.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:20 pm

The blue doesn't rub off, it's incorporated into the shell itself, not as an outside coating.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:43 pm

SandyM wrote:QR_BBPOST If I recall the shell disappears. Correct?

I didn't know the pigment could be washed off. Very interesting.

If you rub blue off you get?

LOL like robbie said. the blue cannot be rubbed off. only the brown. because the brown is "painted" over the shell, while the blue is incorporated right into the shell.

In vinegar the minerals get eaten out but the inside membrane inside the shell doesn't....so you get basically an egg water balloon. they feel very very funny. LOL

Doug The Chickenman
On the Roost

Post by Doug The Chickenman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:15 am

You can trub the blue off. It is all the way through the shell.

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”