Wyandotte Breeders

MommaChick
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Wyandotte Breeders

Post by MommaChick » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:52 am

We just started Bantam Blacks for my daughters. I do Standard White Chanteclers and my boys do Bantam Rhode Island Reds. The Chanteclers were just too big for them so some friends helped us get some nice bantams. Just picked up 2 nice pullets yesterday for the girls and started shuffling for breeding pens last night.
Momma to 4 little chicks down on The Farm
Chickens: Standard White Chanteclers, Bantam Rhode Island Reds, Bantam Black Wyandottes.
Rabbits: Black, Broken Black, & Black Otter Rex
Big Critters: Milking Shorthorns (Reg and Grade), Hay burning Horses out back, and one patient man

Rooster Rick
On the Roost

Wyandotte Breeders

Post by Rooster Rick » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 am

Hello! I have standard silver and gold laced wyandotte also silver laced bantam Wyandotte.. thanks!

la-chicken
On the Roost

Wyandotte Breeders

Post by la-chicken » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:53 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST How come black Wyandott bantams are very common but it's rare to see standard black Wyandotts? I actually wasn't even sure they existed until I just saw your chick pics.
Out here, Totally the opposite.
Lot's of LF Black Wyandotte. Bantams...not so much
But, finding excellent examples of any breed is very hard to find.
Champion Breeder of the Best Birds I can. Bantam White and Black Wyandotte, Bantam New Hampshires, Bantam and LF Buckeyes, OEG- Black. Waterfowl: Embden Geese, Black Magpie, Blue Magpies and Blue Swedes.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Wyandotte Breeders

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:10 am

la-chicken wrote:QR_BBPOST
Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST How come black Wyandott bantams are very common but it's rare to see standard black Wyandotts? I actually wasn't even sure they existed until I just saw your chick pics.
Interesting, there are no "good" LF Black Wyandottes in Ontario or Quebec to be had as far as I know, although some work is being done on them in US - meaning exhibition quality Blacks, not from Blue breeding.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Wyandotte Breeders

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:14 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST
la-chicken wrote:QR_BBPOST
Interesting, there are no "good" LF Black Wyandottes in Ontario or Quebec to be had as far as I know, although some work is being done on them in US - meaning exhibition quality Blacks, not from Blue breeding.
I'm kind of a rambling dog when it comes to poultry shows, sales, auctions and honestly in all the years visiting places, I've seen as many unicorns as I've seen black standard Wyandotts. OC, does blue standard Wyandotts throw out black birds once in a while? I guess you could improve blacks with show quality white if you had to. I think that would be a pretty amazing bird if you had shiny black standards like the bantams.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Wyandotte Breeders

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:45 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST m kind of a rambling dog when it comes to poultry shows, sales, auctions and honestly in all the years visiting places, I've seen as many unicorns as I've seen black standard Wyandotts. OC, does blue standard Wyandotts throw out black birds once in a while? I guess you could improve blacks with show quality white if you had to. I think that would be a pretty amazing bird if you had shiny black standards like the bantams.
Yes they do, BUT the breeding for exhibition Blacks is different then for Blacks derived from Blue breeding, please don't get me started.....;)

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Wyandotte Breeders

Post by Skinny rooster » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST m kind of a rambling dog when it comes to poultry shows, sales, auctions and honestly in all the years visiting places, I've seen as many unicorns as I've seen black standard Wyandotts. OC, does blue standard Wyandotts throw out black birds once in a while? I guess you could improve blacks with show quality white if you had to. I think that would be a pretty amazing bird if you had shiny black standards like the bantams.
Yes they do, BUT the breeding for exhibition Blacks is different then for Blacks derived from Blue breeding, please don't get me started.....;)
Too late, go a head lol! No just kidding, I remember with the Cochins the blacks from blue were dull and didn't have a green shine to them and some said that if they had a blue shine that was wrong as well and I was told not to mix the two blacks... unless I wanted to improve the blues etc etc.

Rooster Rick
On the Roost

Wyandotte Breeders

Post by Rooster Rick » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Do explain! I have black Sumatra... I have blue as well.. should I keep them separate? Because blue will dull my black?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Wyandotte Breeders

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Just remembered "precisionlymouthrocks" was hatching LF Black Wyandottes, wonder how they are doing?
Blacks, Blues and Splash should each be considered a separate variety and bred as such.
If you are going to breed Black to Blue either way, it should be treated as an "outcross" and good basic knowledge of genetics should keep you out of trouble ;)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Wyandotte Breeders

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:50 pm

My head is going to hurt again!!!!!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”