Calling all Rockstars!!

precisionplymouthrocks
Newly Hatched Chick

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by precisionplymouthrocks » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:57 am

Where are all the Rockstars??? What varieties of Plymouth Rocks do you have? What varieties do you like?
Specializing in all LF SOP varieties of Plymouth Rock
http://www.precisionplymouthrocks.com/

SandyM

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by SandyM » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:52 am

I have barred Rocks from Freys. A barred rooster from a PTO member. These girls rock the bossy train but are independent fierce foragers. I'm so happy with their foraging. They are out at the crack of dawn, and hit the grass, worms and bugs right away and forage all day. Feeders usually have food left at end of day. Snow they eat more feed obviously. They are out in the snow and rain. Hard core breed!! Since May 2015 when I got them I have NEVER seen them spend a day in the coop regardless of weather and temperature.

I'm not sure I'm sticking with the breed as my majority in the large coop flock but will always have some barred rocks. Great layers and generally healthy and strong.

I like the white and love the blue. But I'm not into breeding so I'll leave that up to those that know what they're doing.
image.jpeg
Got home this morning from an errand and they are out finding anything and everything, They are quite the travellers.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:52 pm

Loved my little BRs from Freys but they laid a huge egg and ended up prolapsing. Also Columbian Rock crosses very pretty and "sensible" Great foragers all. Do the show type rocks have a smaller egg? I prefer the girls to have a longer life.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by kenya » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:05 pm

My barred rock bantams make the best broodies, will sit for months till that darn rock hatches.

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:23 pm

I have two 5 year old partridge rocks from McMurray's they have been great hardy little girls!

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by goatgal35 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:34 pm

I have one pretty partridge rock hen that is a pet. My barred rocks are from Cackle hatchery in the States. As production rocks go, I really like these guys. I had trouble with Frey's and Bonnies BR. Frey's were a bit aggressive and Bonnies had red leakage. I think I want/need white or buff rocks in the future.

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by goatgal35 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:36 pm

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST Loved my little BRs from Freys but they laid a huge egg and ended up prolapsing. Also Columbian Rock crosses very pretty and "sensible" Great foragers all. Do the show type rocks have a smaller egg? I prefer the girls to have a longer life.
In my limited experience show Rocks lay significantly smaller and fewer eggs than production Rocks.

precisionplymouthrocks
Newly Hatched Chick

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by precisionplymouthrocks » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:58 pm

goatgal35 wrote:QR_BBPOST
Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST Loved my little BRs from Freys but they laid a huge egg and ended up prolapsing. Also Columbian Rock crosses very pretty and "sensible" Great foragers all. Do the show type rocks have a smaller egg? I prefer the girls to have a longer life.
In my limited experience show Rocks lay significantly smaller and fewer eggs than production Rocks.

My Barred lay a nice size egg. Definitely fewer than any production type. Buffs and the Silver Penciled Rocks lay the most of all my varieties.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by WLLady » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:22 pm

I am slowly working on my barred rocks-standard size. I am getting happier with the barring on the boys but the girls still need lots of work. Nowhere near show quality-yet-but they are laying well and covered in black and white stripes with the right leg colour so i must not be doing everything completely wrong. Lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

precisionplymouthrocks
Newly Hatched Chick

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by precisionplymouthrocks » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:42 am

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST I am slowly working on my barred rocks-standard size. I am getting happier with the barring on the boys but the girls still need lots of work. Nowhere near show quality-yet-but they are laying well and covered in black and white stripes with the right leg colour so i must not be doing everything completely wrong. Lol
The SOP does say type over colour, sounds like you are on the right track.

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”