Calling all Rockstars!!

precisionplymouthrocks
Newly Hatched Chick

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by precisionplymouthrocks » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:09 pm

Took some pics of the most promising birds today. They have a lot of growing to do yet.
Attachments
IMG_20160401_212622.jpg
IMG_20160401_212444.jpg
IMG_20160401_212329.jpg
IMG_20160401_211957.jpg
IMG_20160401_211753.jpg
IMG_20160401_211607.jpg
IMG_20160401_211427.jpg
IMG_20160401_211218.jpg
IMG_20160401_210954.jpg
Specializing in all LF SOP varieties of Plymouth Rock
http://www.precisionplymouthrocks.com/

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by kenya » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:55 am

Love seeing pictures of the youngsters, keep us updated as they grow.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by Happy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:11 am

Just ran across this older thread and relieved a bit to hear of people's experience with Frey's Barred Rocks. I started out 4 1/2 years ago with 10 of these day olds from Frey's. I have 3 of my originals left...1 went via coyote in mid-day attack and all the rest died one by one from 1 1/2 years old up till 2 months ago with what seemed to be reproductive issues. Huge eggs, heavy layers then stopped laying and slowly declined. No real outward signs of illness. I took one to a vet-they actually x-rayed and her entire abdomen was filled with a huge mass that they "guessed" was a tumour.
I love these girls and their spunky attitude and will always have some barred rocks in my flock if for no other reason than sentiment but since they are pets to me I'd like them to have better lives so will start with healthier stock next time around. I don't expect all chickens to live to the ripe old age of 10 but i will be visiting a reputable breeder next time I'm ready to add. @precisionplymouthrocks a trip to St. Thomas may be in order for me! I checked out your website- very beautiful birds :)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by WLLady » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:20 am

i started out with the frey's "snack pack" and got 2 barred rocks in the mix, and they were wonderful birds! lasted 3 years each, but both eventually laid these humungous eggs and one ended up prolapsing and the other ended up internally laying and I put them both down at 3 years, which honestly is not bad for hatchery stock. My rooster originally came from markvdb i believe, and i selectively bred him to the freys girls, and after 2 generations got some respectable girls, traded some of my nicest boys to get a very nice boy (LOL) with decent barring and have now established a line off the cross of the freys girls way back when and the new rooster (who is now 2 years old and still going strong).
i'm getting happier with the line. The last girl I hatched out and will be keeping still needs work on the barring, and i really need to look up SOP because i think she's a little small on the weight but she is not 20 weeks yet....so i'm extrapolating LOL.
they are the best foragers, and pretty spunky and curious all at the same time. mine are abysmal moms though, they NEVER go broody, and are actually the best mousers in the coop (other than the cat!) so i don't really know that i would trust them around chicks!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Calling all Rockstars!!

Post by Happy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:33 am

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST i started out with the frey's "snack pack" and got 2 barred rocks in the mix, and they were wonderful birds! lasted 3 years each, but both eventually laid these humungous eggs and one ended up prolapsing and the other ended up internally laying and I put them both down at 3 years, which honestly is not bad for hatchery stock. My rooster originally came from markvdb i believe, and i selectively bred him to the freys girls, and after 2 generations got some respectable girls, traded some of my nicest boys to get a very nice boy (LOL) with decent barring and have now established a line off the cross of the freys girls way back when and the new rooster (who is now 2 years old and still going strong).
i'm getting happier with the line. The last girl I hatched out and will be keeping still needs work on the barring, and i really need to look up SOP because i think she's a little small on the weight but she is not 20 weeks yet....so i'm extrapolating LOL.
they are the best foragers, and pretty spunky and curious all at the same time. mine are abysmal moms though, they NEVER go broody, and are actually the best mousers in the coop (other than the cat!) so i don't really know that i would trust them around chicks!
Lol my head hen (who's name rhymes with "itchy" and she truly deserves it) is one of my original bars. She's 3kg and other than a brewing case of bumblefoot has never been ill a day in her life. At 4 1/2 still lays 5 of 7 days. She's a frog hunter thru and thru and chases chipmunks but has never caught one. My girls have never gone broody and have been horrible to new chicks I have introduced over the years! However they shared the coop with 2 broody banties and their 14 teeny chicks last summer and had nothing but respect for those vicious mom's!

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”