Question OEGB breed characteristics

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

OEGB breed characteristics

Post by Jaye » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:43 pm

I am researching OEGB and have questions about the breed.
Many sites I have visited claim they are aggressive and noisy. Can anyone who has experience with this breed confirm or deny these traits?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Re: OEGB breed characteristics

Post by thegawd » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:24 pm

iv only seen them at shows, all lined up side by side and from what iv seen they are very easy going. maybe this is because they are show birds and have been trained, I dont know. cute as hell!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:30 pm

Why don't you contact Troy Laroche @modern17 he is a wealth of knowledge.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:55 pm

@Jaye all of my bantams are OEGB. They don't have an aggressive bone in their bodies. My 3 roosters have never so much as scratched me. They let me handle them no problem and the oldest one (Sherman) actually enjoys it so long as the girls aren't looking. He brings girls straight into the house to get them treats. I have 8 OEGB girls. Some want to be carried and hugged...others aren't fond of it. The only time they can be aggressive is when they are broody and you take their eggs...which is often. They can be pretty vocal but again that's more of an individual personality thing than anything else. I highly recommend!

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:30 am

Thanks for your insights, everyone ! I was actually quite surprised to read that they were aggressive, so I'm relieved to hear that isn't really an issue.
Cilla, our Brabanter hen, died in her sleep the night before last (RIP), and although she wasn't all that old, at least she lived a few years longer than her brother, Charlie, who also apparently died of heart issues. Anyway, her passing has prompted me to start thinking about next steps for our flock.
Someone in my area is selling OEGB hatching eggs, and I'm tempted to continue adding bantam chickens to our flock as we lose our older standard breed hens to old age or health issues.
@Killerbunny , does Troy raises OEGB too? I thought he only bred Modern Game birds?
@Happy , did you raise yours as chicks or are they broody-raised? Or did you get them as adolescents or adult birds?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:43 am

@Jaye as a high level judge he'd be familiar with breed issues and characteristics.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:00 am

Good point. :-) Thanks - I'll reach out to him.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:31 am

They do seem like fun birds though!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:51 am

I know, right? We have fallen in love with our d'Uccles, so it seems we've been bitten by the bantam bug.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:43 pm

So my original two (Sherman and Weezy) were purchased at the Fur and Feather swap as adults. They were a but flighty and had obviously not been handled much but they calmed down. I hatched 3 of their eggs in an incubator (Sticky, Little and Pecker) then the broodies took over.
Sadly Little recently passed away so I have Sherman and the 8 that Little raised.

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”