Question OEGB breed characteristics

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: OEGB breed characteristics

Post by Jaye » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:02 pm

Thanks for enabling, @Happy ;-). This answers some of the questions I have about how well they will fit into our existing flock.
When your Sherman and Weezy calmed down, was that because you got them used to being handled, or did they just decide at a certain point that you were not the enemy? How well did they integrate with your other birds? Are they fairly accepting of other breeds?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:54 pm

The first time I introduced Sherman and Weezy to my Barred Rock girls Weezy attacked them 😄. She caught them totally off-guard and they respected her from that day on. It was probably a good move on her part. She weighed 1.1 lbs and was going to be housed with birds 6 times her weight. Sherman was the peacemaker and it wasn't long before he had won over MOST of the barred rock ladies. I think Sherman and Weezy settled down by watching how the other girls interacted with us. Eventually Weezie even demanded to be picked up and held. They are a VERY smart breed. Sherman is now at least 8 and while free-ranging he manages to steal young girls by bringing them to the front door to get special treats. The young boys haven't figured that out so it gives my old sweet boy Sherman an edge 😄.

Happy

Post by Happy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:06 pm

@Jaye what colour is the flock near you?
A lady near Peterborough has a pair of mine from last summer's hatch and she says mine are night and day different from the black ones she got from a breeder near Meaford. She finds them aggressive. But she bought adult birds. I have to think that if you are hatching your experience will be much more like mine. And just to hopefully seal the deal here's some cute pics of my little grumpies.
B59F7174-AF31-4732-877B-6D9DCBE1E803 (1).jpeg
D2DA5E58-2FBA-4FFB-AE05-70E6AF0DE4FB.jpeg

Happy

Post by Happy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:35 am

https://youtu.be/BZfOzGumT5g

@Jaye have you made the leap yet?

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:13 pm

@Happy , really enjoyed the video - they are such cuties! I didn't know that chickens would like peaches. Must give that a try.
As for OEGB, I haven't made the leap yet, but it's still definitively on my list to raise a few. We have other more pressing projects ATM, but soon.
I want to wait until we get our home built incubator finished before I go ordering any more hatching eggs though, because I am SO done with the the crappy one we have. No matter how on top of the temp and humidity I stay, it still does random stuff like a thermostat malfunction.
The last batch of quail could have been fried were it not for me checking on it every couple of hours during waking ours. It happened late morning during lockdown, but it could just as easily have decided to go for a hike during the night at any time during incubation. Anyway, all that to say that we will be making the leap, just can't give a set date yet.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Breed Specific Discussion”